Underwriting Consultant-REMOTE at MassMutual
Are you a Life Underwriter with 5+ years of experience and a minimum of 1 million of authority? Do you want to join a dynamic and growing team at a Top 3 life insurer and fortune 100 company? We are looking for exceptional underwriters to join our digital team REMOTELY!
As an Underwriting Consultant you will demonstrate accountability, agility, a dedication to be inclusive, a strong business acumen, and will show courage, even in the most difficult situations. We also highly value strong communication skills, a passion for learning, leadership traits, resilience and self-awareness. We are Digital Operations, established in the MassMutual Enterprise Technology Experience (ETX) organization. Our goal is to always drive customer and advisor delight during the individual life (Term and WL) insurance sales and service process. Digital Operations is a 450+ person organization providing a variety of customer, advisor and risk management services (suitability, underwriting and claims adjudication). We support all channels (advisors, brokers, Haven Life, and MM.COM) and the consumers they serve.
What success looks like:
This position is impairment based underwriting of all risks and includes a combination of lite touch fluid-less, lite touch electronic health record and full manual underwriting with paramedical exams. Underwriters will be empowered to help us iterate and improve algorithms based on your critical thinking skills. MassMutual has extensive alliances with several reinsurers for quota-share and facultative reinsurance. Underwriter decision making in accordance with our internal and reinsurance guidelines is a key aspect of underwriting at MassMutual.
Technology to support you:
- We use a cloud-based underwriting platform and all you need is a google chrome browser and you are ready to go.
- Underwriters interact directly with the proposed insured to keep underwriting the way it should be: private and confidential.
- The platform removes most administrative and clerical functions. We keep you doing what you do best: critical thinking and risk mitigation, using industry leading algorithms and data science.
Required skills and qualifications - The qualifications that are needed for this role:
- Minimum of 5 years underwriting experience (most current 2+ years on life insurance)
- Term and permanent life insurance underwriting is key
- Authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship now or in the future
Preferred qualifications - Additional skills that make you a great fit:
- Minimum $1 million life approval limit without second sign (all ratings, ages)
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience reviewing medical records
- Career Agency and Direct to Consumer underwriting experiences preferred
- Experience utilizing behavioral interview/science techniques
- Experience with data science models and/or tools for underwriting
- Familiarity working on a technology platform built in iterations
- Willing to put your team first - Focused on culture, collaboration, and sharing best practices
- Able to thrive in a performance based environment
***Position can be located remotely in the US