Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data and technology to make it simple, giving people the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work makes a real impact. We’re the most-visited car-shopping site in the US and we are growing fast in our international markets. Ready to come along for the ride?
CarGurus is looking for a VP of HR to lead the HRBP function. In this role you will work with executive team members as appropriate to define, craft and execute a people strategy with a heavy focus on the Engineering and Product organizations. You will be collaborating and setting the long-term vision for the organization’s HRBP function, improving effectiveness and helping to achieve overall business goals. The position will understand the CarGurus business model, design a holistic framework and institute an executable plan to improve people outcomes. This individual will provide HR leadership and direction for a team of 6 HR professionals. This is an exciting position as CarGurus enters its next stage of people growth!
The requirements listed on this job description are guidelines not hard and fast rules. To work at CarGurus, you will not need to satisfy or meet every requirement listed. If you have the transferable skills and want the opportunity to be considered – please feel free to apply.What you will do:
- Partner with executives to understand the business strategy and resulting people needs with particular focus on the Engineering and Product organizations.
- In partnership with business leads, translate knowledge of the business and key functions into a long-term HR strategy that will drive the successful completion of business strategies and objectives.
- Develop an overall workforce strategy which ensures the right people, with the right capabilities, are in the right place
- Align HRBPs to business functions to develop and execute the People strategy for each function
- Advise business leaders on the people implications of business decisions. When appropriate, challenges business decisions from multiple perspectives (business, HR, legal, risk, etc.).
- Utilize supporting organizational data to approach senior leaders with business cases and proposed solutions to optimize business results through people, alignment of work, and organizational structure.
- Review workforce metrics and scorecards and assesses metrics and goals, providing feedback and recommendations to HR and leadership team(s) as needed.
- Focus on using centrally built plan(s) and program(s) targeting Key Talent and critical roles
- Drive the integration of the performance management philosophy into strategic business goals/plans to set expectations for business results
- Coach leaders where behavior or outcomes are not in alignment
- Identify and assess need for cross functional business change initiatives
- Collaborate on change impact of process improvement initiatives to provide the right resources for the initiative to ensure successful outcomes.
- 12-15+ years of working experience in the field of HR
- Has worked with Executives in developing an HR strategy covering all HR fields with engineering experience as a plus
- Has executed and delivered on talent needs and related organization design for a growing business
- Acts a trusted advisor on cultural, workforce and business issues that have an immediate and urgent impact to the organization and its people. Behaves in ways which are sensitive and confidential in nature.
- Drives adoption of and integration of key HR initiatives; establishes credibility of the HR function with business leaders.
- Works one on one, with small groups, in large forums, and/or in a matrix organization structure; recognizes when situations require multiple perspectives/ expertise and gets results through others.
- Demonstrates sound business understanding; identifies when ambiguity can impact business performance, involves the appropriate partners for a response/solution.
- Establishes team priorities based on overall business and HR strategy and contracts appropriately with key leaders.
- Accountable for making strategic decisions based on cross organizational issues, trends and business implications
- Makes decisions in fast-paced, fluid environment where limited precedents exist
- Engages key functional partners in decision making to minimize risk (e.g. legal, compensation, compliance etc.).
- Provides complex analysis, advice and coaching in response to business issues and executes appropriate HR strategy. Analyzes trends (e.g. broad organizational, business, market, geography) and their impact on the business
- Addresses problems that require creative solutions and that have organizational impact.
- Committed to the development and growth of their team
- Not afraid to roll up their sleeves and help the team drive the work
- Comfortable in expressing their own convictions, willing to join debates on tough issues, and influences their thinking
At CarGurus, we invest in our people’s professional growth with everything from learning and development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks and benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, and more. That includes equity in the company—our way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace, but trust and transparency don’t just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—where you don’t just fit, you thrive. We don’t discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada and the UK. We have offices in Cambridge, MA; Detroit, MI; Dublin, Ireland; San Francisco, CA and London, UK. Check out our careers page to learn more.