Director of Employee Relations at Toast
Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Bready to make a change?
OK, let’s be honest: sometimes Employee Relations gets a bad rap. But like most things we’re aiming to do here on the Toast People team, we’re committed to bucking the trend. As our Employee Relations Senior Manager, you’ve done this before. You know what good ER looks like (you probably also know what not good ER looks like). You know what it means to be compassionate, fair, and objective. You know what human means, especially, and most importantly, in the context of tricky situations between employees and each other, or employees and their manager. You know the unending value of the relationship between People Success Partnerships (Toast’s version of HRBP), Legal, and ER. And you also know the value of understanding the connection between what we do on People and how the business thrives if we do our jobs well.
But you also want to get your hands dirty, and build. As our first Employee Relations hire, you get to create. Reporting to the VP of People and Organizational Success, you’ll create our investigations processes and policies, you’ll manage those investigations, you’ll set the tone for how we treat everyone with respect and care throughout difficult situations, you’ll manage our hotline technology (we use AllVoices) and improve its utility, you’ll develop and train the organization on best practices, and you’ll get to navigate throughout all corners of the business in partnership with fellow leaders on the People team.
About this roll*
- Develop our investigations and employee relations processes, policies, and objectives in partnership with Legal and People team functions
- Initiate and run investigations into employee and/or manager behavior to improve individual and overall employee sentiment and retention
- Independently design, facilitate, and scale Manager Training based on data analysis
- Provide data analysis and reporting solutions based on business needs, highlighting key trends in employee relations to actively drive proactive solutions to minimize reactive work
- Integrate and partner with People team colleagues in the People Success Partner, Legal, Learning & Development, and People Ops and Systems teams to implement solutions and help scale the business
- Partner closely with People Success Partners on global strategy and execution
- Manage and improve on technology to listen to the needs of the employee base, and implement changes to help scale Toast and its employee practices
Do you have the right ingredients? (Requirements)
- Experience in an Employee Relations, HR Business Partner or equivalent role
- Solid judgment and experience assessing risk relative to the business
- Strong communication and critical thinking skills
- You’re empathetic, compassionate, and human
- You’re objective, fair, and compliant with local and federal laws
- Strong project management and change management experience
- Demonstrated experience learning and thriving in a constantly changing environment
- Experience using data to identify insights that drive action
- Strong analytical/problem-solving skills; ability to communicate complicated solutions in a simple, digestible way with data
- Experience working with confidential data
- Desire and enthusiasm for operating in the gray
*Bread puns encouraged but not required