Sr. Data Engineer at Abacus Insights
Abacus Insights is a mission-driven, rapid growth-stage technology company focused on transforming the healthcare payer industry, ultimately creating a more personalized patient experience, improving health outcomes, and lowering the overall cost of healthcare. Abacus Insights provides a flexible, efficient, and secure platform that organizes and exchanges healthcare data from various sources and formats, allowing our customers to uncover differentiated insights that address their clients' needs. Our employees know that they play an active role in keeping our customers' data safe and are responsible for ensuring that our comprehensive policies and practices are met.
With our deep expertise in cloud-enabled technologies and knowledge of the healthcare industry, we have built an innovative data integration and management platform that allows healthcare payers access to data that has been historically siloed and inaccessible. Through our platform, these health insurance payers can ingest and manage all the data they need to transform their business by supporting their analytical, operational, and financial needs.
Since our founding in 2017, Abacus has built a highly successful SaaS business, raising more than $53 Million by leading VC firms who have deep expertise in the healthcare and technology industries. We are solving problems of massive scale and complexity in an industry that is ready for disruption. We're growing quickly and would love for you to be a part of it!
About the role:
Our Connector Factory team is looking to bring on an experienced Senior Data Engineer. If you are interested in being a guiding voice on a critical feature delivery team, this position is for you. The connector factory team is responsible for implementing and configuring the data pipelines that ingest and does the ETL and process diverse sources of data. This includes building large batch processing and streaming systems. You will be exposed to every area of our platform and AWS services (Serverless – Lambda, EMR – Hadoop/Spark, EKS – Kubernetes, etc.) but even more so, help drive the evolution of the product and team as we continue to grow rapidly. We believe heavily in architecture evolution and you will bring your experience on best practices as we build out new components of the platform.
- Lead the ETL team (onshore/offshore) and implement end to end solution for a customer
- Build the data ingestion pipeline and do the ETL mappings to map source to target
- Help deliver against our roadmap for upcoming new features
- Designing, implementing, testing, and maintaining our data pipelines
- Optimizing data delivery, designing or re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, availability, and reliability.
- Spearheading the implementation of data management and governance procedures within the company
- Ensuring data integrity and accuracy within our various data pipelines
- Become an expert in AWS and other cloud service providers (currently we deploy on AWS but who knows what the future holds)
- Consult on architecture to separate sensitive healthcare data among multiple customers in a multi-tenant environment
What you bring to the Abacus Team:
- In-depth Healthcare data knowledge with ETL background
- Strong SQL and Database skill
- 5+ years of experience with data engineering and “big data” architecture
- Strong programming skills (Python, Java or other OOP languages)
- Strong experience with hands-on data analysis and modeling of large data sets.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- In-depth knowledge of the design and maintainability of “big data” data architectures, notably data lakes, columnar databases, large batch processing (Spark, Hadoop), stream processing (Kafka) and message queuing
- In-depth experience building and shipping highly scalable and distributed systems on cloud platforms.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Experience coupled with a willingness to learn new things
- Desire to contribute individually, with the ability both to self-direct work and to collaborate with others on the technology team
- Comfort with uncertainty and a desire to be close to business problems
- Background working in an Agile delivery framework
- Experience with other Cloud Data Warehouses (Big Query, Snowflake)
Equal Opportunity Employer:
As a mission-led technology company that is helping to drive better healthcare outcomes, Abacus Insights believes that the best innovation and value we can bring to our customers comes from diverse ideas, thoughts, experiences, and perspectives. We are dedicated to building diverse teams, and as such provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. As well as prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.