Senior Database Engineer at CarGurus
Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data and technology to make it simple, giving people the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work makes a real impact. We’re the most-visited car-shopping site in the US and we are growing fast in our international markets. Ready to come along for the ride?
CarGurus is hiring a Senior Database Engineer to join our growing Infrastructure Engineering team. The role will have a significant influence on the evolution of CarGurus infrastructure and will focus on designing and building scalable, cloud-native platforms and services. This individual will lead "database 2.0" initiatives that will allow us to distribute load around the world and increase the elasticity and flexibility of our infrastructure. This role will also concentrate on the continual reassessment and operational improvement of how services within our application interact with our databases.What You'll Do:
- Design, build, and run CarGurus’ production database infrastructure in collaboration with Development, SRE, and Build/Delivery teams.
- Be an escalation point for day-to-day MySQL database support, i.e., helping with migrations, complex query validation, and troubleshooting replication issues.
- Review and advise on database schemas, broader data structures, and database design.
- Accelerate the adoption of self-service workloads by decomposing monolithic general DBs into smaller service driven DBs.
- Grow our global infrastructure by building new or extending existing storage, compute, and data infrastructure services and platforms. (AWS S3, EC2, etc. as well as MySQL, MongoDB, Elasticsearch, Kafka, Gluster, k8s, Rancher, etc.)
- Move towards 100% infrastructure as code using software and automation to repeatably instantiate and perform all lifecycle operations. (Terraform, Chef, Git, Ansible, Concourse, Bazel, etc.)
- Participate in an on-call rotation.
- Curious with a strong desire to innovate and learn new things.
- Ability to tackle large projects, ask questions, self-direct, and work independently.
- Ability to work through ambiguity to discover the true driving factors and be able to make informed design decisions.
- Willingness to share knowledge, write detailed documentation, and mentor other members of the team.
- Extremely comfortable and proficient with operating MySQL at scale, replication topologies/technologies and their tradeoffs.
- Extremely comfortable with designing and validating complex SQL queries.
- Very comfortable and proficient with Linux, storage principles, command line (CentOS), etc.
- Very comfortable with NoSQL technologies (MongoDB preferably)
- Comfortable with common caching technologies (Memcached/Redis), message queuing technologies (Kafka preferably), search technologies (ElasticSearch preferably)
- Familiar with Redshift, Snowflake, BigQuery, or other large-scale databases a plus.
- Experience orchestrating public/private cloud infrastructure using CLI and/or APIs. (AWS, Terraform, etc.)
- Experience working with infrastructure as code and configuration management. (Terraform, Chef, Ansible, Concourse, Jenkins, etc.)
- Experience building or working with a container or VM orchestration platform. (K8s, Rancher, VMware, Docker Swarm, etc.)
- Familiar with Java web application development and production operations.
- Broad familiarity with IP network routing, DNS, load balancing, and information security.
At CarGurus, we invest in our people’s professional growth with everything from learning and development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks and benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, and more. That includes equity in the company—our way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace, but trust and transparency don’t just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—where you don’t just fit, you thrive. We don’t discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada and the UK. We have offices in Cambridge, MA; Detroit, MI; Dublin, Ireland; San Francisco, CA and London, UK. Check out our careers page to learn more.