Indigo is a company dedicated to harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. With a vision of creating a world where farming is an economically desirable and accessible profession, Indigo works alongside its growers to apply natural approaches, grow healthy food for all, and conserve resources for future generations. The company is headquartered in Boston, MA, with commercial and customer service based in Memphis, TN. www.indigoag.com
The Senior Data Scientist, Field Experimentation will enable new agronomic products and influence Indigo’s carbon credit strategy, using data from experiments across Indigo’s network of growers and the wider scientific literature. This role requires fluency with data science tools and an intuitive understanding of modern agricultural practices.
The Senior Data Scientist role will report to the Head of Field Experimentation on the Agronomic Products team of Indigo Carbon. The Field Experimentation group supports the strategy, design, execution, and analysis of field research to improve grower profitability and sustainability.
- Own and manage current data flows for field experiments and define strategies for improvement
- Define hand-offs to engineering or other teams for standardized analysis and storage of results
- Collaborate with relevant data collection, engineering, and analyses teams to develop more efficient, spatially aware methodologies for experiments
- Collaborate with necessary stakeholders to re-assess the value of all of our data collection efforts and make recommendations to maximize value and minimize cost
- Develop a strategy to combine internal and external data sources and field experiments
- Build and sustain positive relationships with the Indigo Research Partners team, Precision Ag Specialists, Field Data Solutions, GeoInnovation and other functional groups within Indigo
- Synthesize data collected from multiple streams, as well as management best practices, to determine the optimal systems to improve grower profitability and sustainability
- Able to embrace new paradigms for analyzing agronomic data
- Able to maintain a clear vision of the grower’s needs
- Frequently assembles data from multiple sources (specifically, agronomic field data from a multi-region or large geographical areas spanning many environments) to drive decisions to meet business or scientific objectives
- Thrives within ambiguity; capable of creating clarity through organization and prioritization
- Excels at communicating data analysis at the interface of business and agronomy/data science
- Extremely comfortable working with messy datasets from a variety of non-normalized sources
- Highly organized and collaborative; able to influence without authority
- Understands the agronomic and financial outcomes that drive grower profitability; capable of using that knowledge to prioritize analyses and connect insights to action
- Completes necessary tasks, even menial ones, with joy
- Enjoys capturing complex analyses problems; able to identify and apply appropriate advanced statistical analysis techniques as necessary
- Able to think critically
- 2+ years’ experience in Ag industry, working with and creating value from field data
- MS or PhD in data sciences or agricultural discipline
- 1+ years’ experience working with Agile or Scrum processes preferred
- Experience with spatial data analysis, data aggregation, and geovisualization (fluent in git, Python, SQL, and QGIS or ESRI GIS)
- Familiar with agriculture-specific data sources, such as MyJohnDeere and Granular
- Experience developing software in a collaborative environment
- Preference for a Boston-based candidate, but willing to be flexible on location.
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.