Product Data Analyst at CarGurus
Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data and technology to make it simple, giving people the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work makes a real impact. We’re the most-visited car-shopping site in the US and we are growing fast in our international markets. Ready to come along for the ride?
This Product Data Analyst role will support our Product and Engineering teams, providing the final word on all analytics for CarGurus’ online retail experience. We are looking for thoughtful, curious, internally driven candidates who can dive into complex data and draw novel, insightful conclusions. You’ll work cross-functionally with many departments and stakeholders, and gain exposure to multiple dimensions of the business.
What You’ll Tackle:
- Exploration: Using your SQL expertise, conduct exploratory empirical analyses that bridge disparate data sources (e.g. website usage, subscription records, inventory volumes, etc.) to quantify product performance, user behavior, and/or market trends. Doing so will require distilling unstructured “big data” into actionable insights.
- Experimentation: Be the authority on A/B experimentation, advising engineers and product managers on everything from the necessary data points to collect, required sample sizes, optimal metrics to examine, robustness of numerical findings, and the bottom-line success or failure of the tested changes. Provide technical guidance on and ideas for improving A/B testing-related tools, algorithms, and automated processes.
- Advocacy: Advocate for specific, data-driven product innovations that help further high-level company strategy, primarily in partnership with the Product/Engineering teams. Participate in brainstorming and planning discussions across the organization to these ends.
- Metrics: Craft the metrics that define business success, condensing abstract or loosely-defined challenges down to concrete calculations.
- Visualizations: Build intuitive dashboards and other visual monitoring tools to guide daily decision-making by senior stakeholders and the company at large.
- Communication: Communicate and present complex quantitative findings in easily digestible terms to company leadership, homing in on key takeaways.
- Architecture: Conceive of new data assets and build automated transformations (via DBT, LookML, etc.) to bring them to fruition. Partner with Data Engineering teams to advance core data modeling/architecture (e.g. user clickstream logging), by optimizing, integrating, and distilling large raw datasets and metadata.
Who You Are:
- 2+ years of experience in an analytics or analytics-adjacent field, ideally involving data modeling, statistical literacy, and/or user behavior.
- Expert fluency in SQL. Experience with statistical programming (R, Stata, SAS, Python) is desirable.
- Working understanding of core statistical concepts (regression, significance testing, omitted variable bias, independence/dependence, etc.).
- Knack for creative data visualizations.
- Willingness to step outside your role and independently come up with novel ideas for the business.
- Willingness to challenge others’ ideas and advocate for your own.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, especially for presentations.
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.
At CarGurus, we invest in our people’s professional growth with everything from learning and development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks and benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, and more. That includes equity in the company—our way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace, but trust and transparency don’t just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—where you don’t just fit, you thrive. We don’t discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
We recognize that flexibility plays a critical role in enabling our people to thrive in both their personal and professional lives. We currently welcome Gurus into our Cambridge, MA office on a voluntary basis but do not require employees to physically be in the office. We will adopt a hybrid working model when health experts and government officials in our local communities deem it safe to do so. Specific arrangements within this model will be up to team leaders’ discretion; we encourage you to discuss your questions and needs during the interview process.
All US CarGurus employees are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation. This helps us to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors, and the community at large.