We are looking for a Merchandising Sr. Data Scientist (Flexible on level) with a background in econometric modelling, machine learning and operations research to join the Merchandising Systems and Services Data Science team at Chewy (Location Flexible). The team uses Business Economics, Statistics, and Machine Learning techniques to understand and serve the needs of our pet-parents. Developing data-driven Pricing and Merchandising solutions, we are an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, who are committed to solving business problems using cutting edge technologies and developing data-driven solutions.
As part of the growing data science team within Merchandising Systems and Services at Chewy, you will work on our pricing models having direct impact on the prices customers see on the Chewy website and having a direct impact to the Chewy bottom line by optimizing revenues through price optimization. You will have the opportunity to put this into practices by scaling up our pricing models and evangelize these capabilities across all of Chewy's product lines.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to operate or lead as a full-stack data scientist. In this capacity, you will have the opportunity to work on our core pricing models having a direct impact to the prices customers see on the Chewy website that ultimately optimize revenues for Chewy. In this role you will also build engineering pipelines to streamline the model development process and launch the decision engines that would help automate the ML-powered business solutions. For such efforts, you will closely work with the data science, ML Operations, analytics, and data engineering teams focused on Pricing and Merchandising problem spaces.
What You'll Do:
- Focusing on the incrementality and the value-creation in everything you do, you will closely work with the stakeholders within the merch category teams (Consumables, Hardgoods, Healthcare, etc.), pricing and supply chain data science teams. You will transform ideas, preliminary findings, or analyses, whenever applicable, into models to help drive the core objectives
- As a data scientist, you will be responsible for making recommendations for experimentation and measurement by researching state-of-art methods, examining, and tuning the current methods and models. Also, you will use causal inference methods to bring precision and speed in the decision-making process
- You will be responsible for the full Data Science lifecycle from conception to prototyping, testing, deploying, and measuring the overall business value of the models. In addition, you will periodically develop the model health reports to ensure the integrity of the underlying processes and assumptions. If needed, you will refit the model following the model lifecycle. Using the ML model outputs, you will work with a team of strategic analysts and engineers to triangulate different inputs and optimize the solutions for different business problems
- You will ideate, architect, build and enhance the platform for our Pricing Engine
- You will use data to improve how we make decisions and ultimately, enhance customer experience and drive loyalty. You will surface deep insight hidden in our data lakes and provide tactical and strategic guidance on how to act on findings
- You will work with the data engineering teams to develop the automated pipelines to perform different stages of the model life cycle (data collection and cleaning, model development and validation, model deployment and scoring, periodic validation and refitting, etc.)
What You'll Need:
- Graduate degree (MS/PhD) in Data Science, Machine Learning, Economics, Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering or related discipline
- 5+ years of professional experience in data science, statistics and/or applied economics
- Demonstrated leadership and expertise in the area of econometric modeling with multiple years working on pricing models and optimizing pricing in industry. Preference for experience with an e-commerce company
- Demonstrated practical knowledge in the areas of machine learning, deep learning, econometric modeling, experimentation and testing
- Advanced proficiency in coding and data analysis using Python or R
- Advanced proficiency with SQL
- Proven experience in the design and execution of analytical projects
- Working knowledge of AWS data toolset (Glue, Athena, Sagemaker, Redshift, etc.)
- Experience of translating ambiguous customer requirements into clear problem definitions and delivering them
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Able to explain details of complex concepts to non-expert stakeholders in a simple understandable way
- Preferably experience of working in the e-commerce industry
Chewy is committed to equal opportunity. We value and embrace diversity and inclusion of all Team Members. If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, and you need an accommodation during the application process or to perform these job requirements, or if you need a religious accommodation, please contact [email protected]
If you have a question regarding your application, please contact [email protected]