At MassMutual, we’re passionate about helping millions of people find financial freedom and this passion has driven our approach to developing highly interactive digital experiences for our customers. To help us achieve our mission, we are looking to hire junior data engineers for our Data Engineering Development Program.
What great looks like for this role:
We are seeking highly motivated individuals with backgrounds in computer science, database design, or related fields and are enthusiastic about pursuing a career in data engineering. We are looking for highly collaborative individuals who are great team players.
We are looking for individuals who are comfortable working in a challenging, fast paced environment and are extremely self-motivated. Our business challenges are often complex, so we are looking for individuals who are comfortable wrangling with unstructured, difficult problems and are comfortable thinking outside the box and taking initiative. Those who enjoy tackling complex tasks in a collaborative environment are well-suited to a position on our team. We accept applications from both early career software engineers and from students from a Computer Science Bachelor's program.
Data Engineering Development Program Highlights:
The Data Engineering Development Program (DEDP), is a hybrid experiential learning program that combines custom academic coursework with hands-on industry experience. The DEDP cultivates top recent graduates or junior software engineers and provides a talent pipeline to grow the data engineering team at MassMutual. The program offers a combination of in-house training, graduate coursework, mentorship, and participation in high-impact projects alongside senior data engineers. At the completion of the fifteen month program, participants will have demonstrated proficiency and will be capable of contributing to major data engineering efforts for the company.
This fifteen month program, based in Boston, MA, provides a unique, industry-leading experience in data engineering for top performing and promising candidates. Junior data engineers work together with MassMutual’s data team to solve challenging database and data architecture challenges. Participation in the development program includes mentorship from senior professionals, exposure to real world high-impact projects, in-house training and workshops, and tuition sponsorship for graduate level certificate training at Boston University. At the conclusion of the development program, those who have successfully demonstrated proficiency will be offered a position with MassMutual with the Boston-based Data Engineering team.
Academic Training & Development
Junior Data Engineers in the DEDP are fully immersed in high-impact projects for MassMutual. Projects include data warehousing, database design, algorithms design, and machine learning. To supplement development through project work learning, Junior Data Engineers in the DEDP take graduate level certificate coursework at Boston University through a mix of online and on campus learning. Our work environment also reflects our dedication to innovation and learning. We hold weekly seminars to present technical ideas, participate in local conferences and hackathons, and sponsor monthly Meetups for data science and data engineering professionals. The team culture of working collaboratively and cross-functionally, using new technologies combined with the work/life balance provided by MassMutual are core reasons people enjoy working on the Data Engineering team at MassMutual. We offer full benefits and above-market compensation.
Volunteer & Community Opportunities
Team members have many opportunities to volunteer throughout the year. Junior data scientists volunteer at hackathons throughout the state, attend community data events, speak at external talks, and participate in community data for good efforts annually.
Objectives of this role:
Junior data engineers will have the opportunities to work on technical projects and engage in the following type of work:
- Build conceptual and logical data architecture design
- Develop, monitor, and manage data systems across our platform
- Process disparate data sources and form a high integrity, high quality, clean data asset
- Contribute to batch pipelines, data modeling, and data mart solutions
- Work on collaborative project teams working to implement robust data collection and processing pipelines
- Work across departments to understand data patterns
Technical training will encompass the following areas:
- Data structures and databases
- Designing data processing systems
- Data Warehousing
- Data Mining
- Comprehension of distributed systems
- Comprehension of Software Development Principles
- Algorithms Design
- Machine learning
- Designing for reliability, security and compliance
Committed to Diversity and Inclusion
Our employees are the embodiment of the idea that we all are stronger and better through our support for one another. By valuing people for who they are, how they think, and what they bring to the table, we’ve become a stronger, more innovative company. We continue to receive external recognition for our policies and programs that seek to create a diverse and inclusive environment.
- Americas Best Employer for Diversity Forbes (2019)
- Score of 100 on the Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index (2019)
- National Association for Female Executives Top Company for Executive Women (2018)
- Disability Equality Index (DEI) Best Place to Work for Disability Inclusion (2019)
- Diversity Best Practices Inclusion Index Company (2018)
- Solid computational and technical proficiency
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science or a related discipline
- Working proficiency in at least one programming language such as R, Python, or SQL
- Demonstrated 6 month work experience through part time employment or other endeavors including internships
- Commitment to data integrity
- Ability to take graduate courses concurrent with a full-time work schedule
- Ability to function well in unstructured environments, working with challenging problems
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic learner
- Authorized to work in the United States, with or without requiring sponsorship both now and in the future
Applying to the Data Engineering Development Program is a two- step process.
First you must submit your application and resume via this job posting. You will then be required to submit a portfolio documenting your interest in the program, documenting your academics, and experiences. Please visit https://datascience.massmutual.com/dedp to read more about the DEDP and the portfolio submission process.
Application deadline is January 31, 2021. Anticipated start date is June 14, 2021.