Head Architect, Data
The vision for the MassMutual enterprise architecture team is to build an industry leading EA function that creates alignment between technology and business strategy by guiding the process of planning and designing capabilities to maximize the value of IT and enable the company to make high impact, long term decisions. This will be accomplished through architecture strategies, blueprints and road maps that standardize technology stacks and create engineering speed and agility through the innovative use of data science, data analytics, cloud and API’s.
The head of data architecture, technology and standards will lead a team responsible for evaluating and benchmarking new database technologies and enabling MassMutual to make high impact, long term decisions around design, procurement, and deployment of database, storage, and computing technologies that underpin the data analytics, reporting, and data science capabilities at MassMutual. Additionally, this technical leader’s team will be responsible for defining the standards of data flow and data access for all data platforms driving analytics, reporting, and data science systems. This includes the specification of data interchange formats and data interfaces including API’s and driver based access. The head of data architecture will also be responsible for drafting technical standards, creating data architecture patterns and publishing architectural artifacts. This is a critical strategic architecture role to help drive digital transformation and create a competitive advantage for the company
Head Architect, Data
- Technical evaluations and benchmarking of core data technologies including query engines, storage platforms, and big data computing frameworks.
- Specification and publication of standards around data transport and data APIs
- Thought leadership and active participation in conferences and research with strategic partners and academic institutions
- Define the technical platform strategy for enterprise consumer data initiatives
- Partner with senior leaders to develop and maintain data platform and data technology strategy
- Define data architecture strategies and approaches to advance enterprise data initiatives
- Partner with business executives and senior architects to identify data and process issues, then provides solution options and recommends options
- Provide recommendations on system options, risks, cost/benefit analysis, and impact on cross-domain systems, business strategy, goals and processes.
- Partner with extended enterprise architecture, business, and IT support teams to communicate data architecture strategies, standards, and direction.
- 15+ years experience working with database technologies and big data platforms
- 15+ years performing research, distributed system design, and benchmarking
- Extensive experience of providing architectural direction to project development teams or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Exceptional written and verbal communication abilities
- Demonstrated data warehousing experience
- Track record of designing architectural reference material
- Extensive experience of providing architectural direction to technical teams
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Computer Science or related field