Who We Are – At MassMutual, we help millions of people find financial freedom, offer financial protection, and plan for the future. We’re passionate about helping millions of people find financial freedom and this passion has driven our approach to developing meaningful experiences for our customers. We do this by building trust with our customers by being knowledgeable problem solvers and prioritize their needs above all else. We Live Mutual. MassMutual was named a Top Place to Work in 2019 according to The Boston Globe and No. 84 on the Fortune 500 list of largest companies.
The Team – We are a new team that has been created as part of the broader Enterprise Data Strategy and Architecture organization at MassMutual to better serve the Data & Analytics needs of Investment Management, Corporate Finance and Enterprise Risk Management. The team consists of professionals with diverse backgrounds and deep expertise in data governance, data engineering and analytics. We are a highly motivated and collaborative team with a successful track record of creating innovative solutions to solve business problems by leveraging modern cloud and big data technologies.
The Work We Do – Our work is focused on 4 broad areas:
Data Governance – defining and implementing an operating model (people, process and technology) to ensure the data in our platform is suitable for consumption and meets the needs of critical financial and regulatory reporting and analytics
Data Engineering – building and maintaining our innovative cloud data platform, the associated data models, data pipelines, and workflows. Ingestion of data to support new business use cases
Data Analytics – leveraging business intelligence and other analytics platforms to build innovative dashboards, reports and analytical portals
Program Management – consolidating the portfolio of data and analytics initiatives across Corporate Finance, Investment Management and Enterprise Risk Management by creating an integrated roadmap to bring visibility to status, spend, and issues
The Role – This role will be focused on the Data Analytics component of our work. This is an exciting role that provides an opportunity to deliver innovative and scalable analytical solutions. This role will have primary point of accountability to business sponsors and other parties for planning, day-to-day execution, management, implementation of a data analytics portal. Work with a high degree of autonomy and apply industry leading project and program management knowledge, skills, tools and techniques to project deliverables, processes, communications and presentations in order to meet or exceed stakeholder needs and expectations. Understand, apply, promote and contribute to MassMutual delivery methodologies, standards and tools.
The ideal candidate is team-oriented, possesses excellent communication skills and is skilled in and champions Agile concepts and practices. Our goal is to create a team of innovative, high-performing, collaborative, and resourceful people who like to think big, test ideas, and are dedicated to their ideas to see programs through from conception to delivery. Successful outcomes in this role will require focus on big picture and prioritizing competing responsibilities
Managing all facets of agile project delivery including but not limited to, stakeholder relationships, work prioritization, sprint planning, scrum execution, team organization, project risk assessment, implementation and reporting
KEY ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Define and drive program strategy and roadmaps for identified business intelligence portals and user groups
- Lead a delivery team of reporting developers, business and data analysts
- Work cross-functionally with data engineering and data governance to source and identify new data
- Accountable to manage and monitor project tasks and controls during project planning and delivery activities to ensure continuous delivery of quality features within scope and budget
- Accountable for reporting of progress and managing quality and compliance with SDLC controls
- Estimate work-effort required, create resource plans and calibrate program plans based on dependencies and capacity constraints
- Maintain inventory of all Data Analytics initiatives across Corporate Finance, Investment Management and Enterprise Risk Management and maintain an integrated roadmap
- Facilitate and support quarterly prioritization sessions with leadership team to establish goals
- Interact regularly with executives and/or key customers to provide consultation, influence, resolve complex issues and provide insight into commitments, targets and progress
- Familiarity with project management tools and techniques including Jira, Confluence, Scrum, Kanban and related technologies
- Manage budget, timeline, and scope throughout the course of all assigned projects
- Develops high performing project teams, setting a positive tone and leading by example
- Proactively removes blocker/barriers enabling project team to complete objectives
- Collect and share lessons learned and ensure knowledge retention for future use
- Ability to assess a project's scope and the team's ability to execute
- Acts as an Agile mentor/coach to other Scrum Masters or any Agile role with strong sense of urgency and a continuous improvement mindset
- Bachelors degree
- 5 years of technical project management experience
- Knowledge of SQL and use in data access and analysis
- Strong understanding of MicroStrategy to perform data visualization and report development.
- Insurance or financial industry background
- Project leadership experience focused on engaging others in the delivery and execution of technical solutions
- Experience and familiarity with Corporate Finance or Investment Management data sets and reporting
- Strong knowledge of database technologies (ie. Vertica or Redshift, etc.)
- Authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship now or in the future
- Master’s Degree, preferably in Business/Finance or an analytical field such as Economics, Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science
- 8 years of technical project management experience
Business Acumen: Demonstrates knowledge of the interdependencies of key business processes, functions and risks. Identifies and uses the key financial indicators necessary to measure program performance. Knows the competition; is aware of how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace. Identifies and anticipates customer requirements, expectations, and needs.
Critical Thinking: Critically and logically evaluates the costs, risks, and benefits of alternatives before coming to a solution. Probes and looks past symptoms to determine the underlying causes of problems and issues. Approaches problems holistically; defines connections, linkages, interdependencies and develops solutions. Takes ownership of problems and stays on top of them until resolved.
Execution/Results: Makes quick decisions in high stakes situations, crises, or conditions of uncertainty. Critically and logically evaluates the consequences and implications of alternatives, actions, or decisions. Encourages others to set challenging goals and high standards of performance. Fosters a sense of energy, ownership, and personal commitment to the work. Creates an environment in which performance excellence is rewarded.
Communications: Ability to engage in and mode courageous and constructive dialogue; confidence to offer a new and potentially challenging idea to foster conversation and critical thinking; ability to successfully deliver difficult and/or complex messages and help others understand multiple points of view.
Focus on the Customer: Know your customers well; add value with a sense of urgency.
Act with Integrity: Be trustworthy, adhere to high ethical standards and adhere to the letter and spirit of applicable laws, rules, regulations and company policies.
Value People: Lead people to success; appreciate diverse backgrounds, ideas and experiences.
Work Collaboratively: Partner with others to achieve results that leverage the right resources.
Achieve Results: Focus on winning; consistently exceed expectations, beat the competition.