Data Privacy and Governance Lead
At MassMutual, we’re passionate about helping millions of people find financial freedom and this passion has driven our approach to developing meaningful experiences for our customers. The Data Science Team, part of Enterprise Technology and Experience, is comprised of highly skilled, collaborative, problem solvers who are motivated to create innovative solutions that exceed the changing needs of our customers and move MassMutual – and the industry – forward.
To continue our cutting-edge work, we are hiring a Data Privacy and Governance Consultant to join our Team.
What great looks like in this role
Our ideal candidate has extensive experience establishing and executing complex, cross-functional enterprise programs. Data, analytics and algorithmic decision making are at the core of MassMutual’s digital evolution. In this role you will be responsible for an enterprise program that holistically addresses data governance. This leader will partner with other leaders and individuals across the organization to define policy and implement processes and systems that enable the collection, storage, organization, and dissemination of meta-data and metrics associated with the firm’s information assets.
Objectives of the role
- Deliver a principles-driven, adaptive policy framework to inventory, assess, organize, measure, and track MassMutual’s data assets across the enterprise.
- Champion and facilitate adoption of the framework to enable confident innovation across all business channels.
- Establish and maintain the program and be responsible for identifying and following trends in the broader global marketplace.
- Support the internal program to bring MassMutual into compliance with the California Consumers Privacy Act (CCPA).
Daily and Monthly Responsibilities
- Collaborate and partner with other leaders including legal, compliance and enterprise risk, and information security to craft and maintain policies.
- Establish quantitative measures of policy compliance including data measures such as quality, ethics, veracity, and lineage.
- Collaborate with various departments throughout the organization to establish automated processes that collect and compute measures of progress.
- Continuously improve and advocate enterprise data governance policies.
- Maintain a strategic roadmap for governance program.
- Create and maintain a meta-data asset that accurately characterizes the firm’s data sources through time, as well as their adherence to governance policies.
- Identify and engage data stewards across the enterprise for each data domain or business area and coordinate with them to achieve defined program goals.
- Work with technology and business functions across the organization to build a shared business glossary and standards around shared data domains to enhance the organization’s ability to leverage data cross-functionally.
- Lead working groups to ensure consistency and adoption of governance across data domains.
- Stay up-to-date and informed on emerging practices for improving data privacy, ethics and governance practices.
- Bachelor’s degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM).
- Extensive experience establishing and executing complex, strategic, cross-functional enterprise programs.
- Financial services knowledge, including core business processes and regulations.
- Knowledge of databases, data models, data management, and data quality best practices.
- Knowledge of reference data architectures and models for financial services (insurance and retirement plans). Practitioner experience considered a strong plus.
- Experience in building enterprise programs around data management and governance.
- Experience creating KPIs and using them to manage execution and inform strategy.
- Excellent communication, problem solving, organizational and analytical skills.
- Able to work independently.
- Exceptional influencing abilities across all levels of the organization.
- Authorized to work in the USA with or without sponsorship.
- Advanced degree preferred (M.S., M.B.A., and J.D.).
- Knowledge of methods in machine learning and artificial intelligence.
- Expertise with the following are considered a strong plus: software development/DevOps, financial industry regulations, GDPR, vendor management, and agile methodologies.
- Work in Boston Office.
- Some travel to Springfield, Amherst and New York.