Data Engineer at MassMutual
Boston or Springfield, MA
Corporate Finance Data and Analytics
Do you want to be part of a team that encourages your growth, supports your ambitions and makes it a priority for you to reach your goals? Is helping people part of who you are? At MassMutual, we help millions of people find financial freedom, offer financial protection and plan for the future. We do this by building trust with our customers by being knowledgeable problem solvers and prioritize their needs above all else. We Live Mutual.
If this sounds like a fit, we’re looking to hire a Data Engineer to join our Corporate Finance data and analytics team.
Why we need you.
We’re growing and our clients deserve the best. As a data engineer you’ll have an opportunity to work with the latest and greatest cloud technology tools to onboard and transform finance data as part of our Amazon cloud-based technology platform. The primary objective of the data management platform is to onboard, process and serve MassMutual’s corporate finance data to enable MassMutual CFO data strategy. The finance data engineer is an engineering role within the data-management team of the CFO organization and is charged with onboarding & transforming data, analyzing data-load patterns and persisting data for business reporting and analytics. The data engineer must bring a deep technical background, must be well-versed in AWS Cloud technology, and should possess hands-on expertise in distributed-data-management technologies (Apache/open-source) and expert level knowledge in SQL and Python. The primary responsibility of a data engineer is to transform, load and build cohesive data schemas that are extensible and scalable to meet Corporate Finance’s end-user reporting and analytics requirements. In this role, as well as all roles within MassMutual, you will demonstrate accountability, agility, a dedication to be inclusive, a strong business acumen, and will show courage, even in the most difficult situations. We also highly value strong communication skills, a passion for learning, leadership traits, resilience and self-awareness.
What success looks like.
- Design and develop data-onboarding pipelines end-to-end – from data ingestion through persisting the data in the data store
- Design appropriate data load patterns and pick the right data-processing context between Python, PySpark and SQL (Vertica)
- Ensure transformed data meets all the business requirements in supporting dashboards and reports and ad hoc analytics
- Ensure data loads are tuned for optimal performance throughput with respect to the underlying DBMS – preferably Vertica
- Ensure the integrity of the underlying data is maintained in terms of primary-keys, foreign-keys and unique-indices etc.
- Exhibit key MassMutual core competencies as below:
- Business Acumen: Demonstrates knowledge of the underlying domains of data supporting financial dashboards and reports
- Critical Thinking: Critically and logically evaluates performance benefits vs. academic approach in thinking of alternatives in data load patterns
- Execution/Results: Takes ownership of problems and stays on top of them until resolved. Makes quick decisions and keeps track of Technical Debts. Fosters a personal commitment to the work.
- Engage and Inspire: Engage with the broader audience who consume data to continuously refine and enhance the underlying data model to suit various data-access patterns.
- Collaborate: Conducts periodic reviews with the business community and encourages feedback towards continuous improvement
- Learning: Constantly learns about industry best-practices around distributed-data-management technologies and applies that to the data consumption patterns.
- Communications: Ability to engage constructively with the dashboard & reports developers to help understand technology trade-offs
What your days and weeks will include.
- Ensure best-practices design for master data & conforming dimensional data (Type 1,2,3,4) load management
- Collaborate in delivering data-driven analytical solutions & timely insights via dashboards and reports
- Publish data-load patterns and best practices across the data-engineering community
- Be a trusted engineer for the end-user reporting and analytics community
- Collaborate with business analysts to prioritize business use-cases and deliver on them
- Follow agile development methodology to deliver timely solution
- Follow CICD (continuous-integration and delivery) pipeline to ensure seamless migration across development, QA and production environments
- Conduct periodic data model reviews covering data architecture, data load patterns and design
- Publish and communicate technology standards and guidelines
The skills that make you a great fit.
- Authorized to work in the US with or without sponsorship.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in data-engineering and database design – 10 years preferred
- Hands-on experience for a minimum of 3 years in Cloud technology – AWS EMR, Spark, Python, Vertica
- Hands-on experience on Python programming language
- Hands-on experience for a minimum of 5 years in advanced SQL
- Experienced in various flavors of Linux Operating System
- Experienced in enabling and supporting data analysts in complex data science projects
- Deep proficiency in data architecture and data management principles – traditional RDBMS, MPP appliances, columnar repositories and distributed-data technologies
- Experienced in agile & waterfall project-management methodologies
- Exceptional communication skills (written and verbal)
- Preferred Requirements:
- Advanced degree in Computer Science