BI Software Developer
MassMutual Data Analytics is seeking a versatile, highly motivated Software Development Kit/ Application Programming Interface (SDK/API) Developer to join our team. Develop specifications of extremely complex software programming applications. Responsible for components of an application or the overall operating system or complex sub-systems, such as sophisticated file management routines, large telecommunications networks, and administrative and statistical software packages, performance evaluation and enhancements. Perform related duties as assigned or requested. Receives general supervision and is competent to work at the highest level of all technical phases of software programming while working on own most of the time.
What great looks like in this role
Our ideal Business Intelligence Software Developer candidate is team-oriented, possesses excellent communication skills, is energized about software development and has championed the cause in previous experiences. The SDK/API Developer is part of the enterprise scrum team offering support to the MassMutual Enterprise. You like to learn new things all the time and enjoy solving problems on a regular basis. You demonstrate collaborative approach to working with others while utilizing feedback to regularly contribute to the team’s delivery of high-quality solutions with speed and agility. With a flat leadership structure, the opportunity for flexibility within role and development into other areas is a core reason most people desire to work in the Data Science Organization at MassMutual. You may have the opportunity to act as a Project Leader.
The objective of the role
- To perform injection, extension, and embedding analytics into portals, third-party applications, mobile applications and white labelled applications.
- To publish web services and data services for use by developers in building departmental applications.
- To build, compile, deploy, and maintain mobile environments and applications. Optimize the user experience when accessing applications via web or mobile
Duties and Responsibilities
- Gather and analyze user requirements and, based on findings, design, develops application and custom integration solutions; solutions include enhancements and interfaces, functions and features.
- Design data visualization integration, and develop a comprehensive understanding of current implementations of web application standards.
- Work with API design, development, and enabling technologies, state-of-the art programming languages and object-oriented approaches in designing, coding, testing and debugging programs. Including REST, XML, JSON, and HTTP
- Take broad, conceptual ideas and turn them into tangible - create click-through mockups for web or mobile features.
- Create wireframes that front-end engineers could use as a baseline to develop the product.
- Ensures mapping of existing applications to data sources occurs and identifies problematic data issues.
- Perform detailed documentation of design, development, testing and deployment activities.
- Conduct troubleshooting, analysis and enhancement development based on issues reported
- Assist with the curating enterprise BI governance materials
- Provide technical support as needed within the team and amongst user.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Information Technology, Computer Science, CIS, Engineering, or Math required with 3+ years professional experience
- Excellent understanding of cross browser data pass through: XML and JSON
- Ability to work individually and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Ability to handle multiple tasks delivering under the Agile methodology
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office programs
- Entrepreneurial mind-set with strong financial acumen and personal integrity.
- Authorized to work in the United States with or without sponsorship now or in the future
- Master’s degree preferred in Information Technology, Computer Science, CIS, Engineering, or Math preferred
- Familiarity with Micro Strategy is ideal. Familiarity with IBM Cognos, Tableau, Alteryx, Looker, ChartIO, other BI software etc. is a plus.
- Familiarity with Web Application servers such as Tomcat and Web Servers (Apache HTTPD, Nginx, etc.)
- Knowledge with ETL solutions (Informatica, etc.), relational databases, columnar databases, time series databases (SQL Server, Oracle, Teradata, Vertica, etc.), BI Platforms, Big data technology, Metadata, Analytics.