AI Ethics and Governance Lead at MassMutual
What great looks like in this role
Our ideal candidate has extensive knowledge and practitioner experience with methods in machine learning (ML) and Artificial Intelligence (AI) needed to pursue an interdisciplinary approach to empower our business for success and to address novel challenges posed by artificial intelligence.
Data, analytics and algorithmic decision making are at the core of MassMutual’s digital evolution. In this role you will be responsible for implementing a principles-driven enterprise program that holistically addresses AI/ML governance at scale and enables the delivery of superior customer experiences and innovative products while ensuring that key values, such as fairness, are built into artificially intelligent systems supporting decision making.
This leader will be responsible for engaging with data scientists, our controls partners, and other leaders to define enterprise policies and standards, and to establish a governance program to catalog, assess, measure and monitor the firm’s algorithmic assets and models. Success also includes facilitating learning and idea-sharing internally and externally around emerging AI techniques and issues such as interpretability and explainability of algorithmic decisions, fairness, and best practices.
Objectives of the role
- Define enterprise strategy, policies and standards for AI/ML models and establish an enterprise governance program
- Deliver a principles-driven, adaptive policy framework to catalog, assess, measure and monitor algorithmic assets and models across the enterprise.
- Champion and facilitate adoption of the framework to enable confident innovation with machine learning and algorithmic decision making across all business channels.
- Establish and maintain the program and be responsible for identifying and following trends in industry, academia and legislature.
Daily and Monthly Responsibilities
- Collaborate and partner with leaders across our data science team, business channels, law, compliance, enterprise risk, and information security for policy making and best practices.
- Develop and implement AI/ML strategy and standards of use.
- Establish quantitative measures of policy compliance including algorithm measures that include performance, fairness, accountability, transparency, and auditability.
- Collaborate with various departments to establish automated processes that collect and compute measures of progress and alignment with principles.
- Develop and maintain a strategic roadmap for AI governance roll-out across the enterprise.
- Create and maintain a meta-data asset that accurately characterizes the firm’s algorithms through time, as well as their adherence to governance policies.
- Identify and engage AI leaders across the enterprise and coordinate with them to achieve adoption and consistency of governance across business channels.
- Stay up-to-date and informed on emerging practices for improving algorithm and AI governance practices.
- Manage a team of AI governance analysts.
- Bachelor’s degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM), or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of methods for designing, developing, testing, peer-reviewing, and deploying machine learning and artificial intelligence solutions. Practitioner experience is considered a strong plus.
- Knowledge of metrics associated with characterizing performance, bias, variance, and error of algorithms and predictive models.
- Experience implementing and managing enterprise governance programs in highly regulated industries.
- Experience establishing and executing complex, strategic, cross-functional enterprise programs.
- Experience creating KPIs and using them to manage execution and inform strategy.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Exceptional influencing abilities across all levels of the organization.
- Some travel to Springfield, MA, Amherst, MA, and New York, NY. (approx. 1 – 2x/month)