Actuary at MassMutual
At MassMutual, we’re passionate about helping millions of people find financial freedom and this passion has driven our approach to developing highly interactive digital experiences for our customers.
The Capital Risk Team aims to provide timely and value-added insights that are integrated into how MassMutual evaluates, rewards and makes strategic decisions related to risk, capital and value. In order to achieve this vision, the team is setting a number of expansive objectives that build on its strong foundation with the view to increasing the impact and connectivity across the organization.
To help us achieve our mission, we are hiring an Actuary to join our team. This role provides an opportunity to join the team at an exciting time and make a meaningful impact while working with various partners across the organization.
What great looks like in this role
The ideal candidate is someone who demonstrates the ability to:
- Learn in real time, anticipate problems or challenges and respond proactively.
- Adapt and thrive in complex, uncertain and changing situations.
- Manage priorities effectively and adapt quickly to achieve goals.
- Inform and influence others clearly, timely and appropriately.
- Build a deep understanding of business and use relevant data to guide decisions and actions that support strategy.
In this role, you will need to be able to work independently, quickly understand and assess a situation, and collaborate within and across teams to ensure ongoing requirements and ad-hoc demands on the team are met. You will use your analytical skills to lead reporting processes/analyses/problem solving, derive value-added insights to support decision-making, assist in methodology and framework enhancements, and lead execution of complex projects including broader initiatives underway at the firm relevant to the Capital Risk Team.
Objectives of this role
- Leads the development, enhancement, review, and documentation of enterprise economic value and capital framework, with particular emphasis on evaluating liabilities across all insurance products.
- Leads the team’s ongoing reporting processes and analyses to produce value-added insights. Also, advances the rigor, governance and controls around the data/models/analyses.
- Leads execution of complex projects e.g., leads the transformation of the capital risk processes by working closely with business partners such as Corporate Actuarial & Business Analytics, Financial Planning & Analysis, and Data Science to align data/tools/methodologies across the enterprise and expand our analytical capabilities.
Skills needed for success in this role
- Applies broad or deep expertise in pricing, valuation, research, risk management and/or other actuarial functions.
- Is familiar with economic value/capital modeling/risk measurement framework.
- Leads reporting processes/analyses and supports complex projects, utilizing business acumen to manage potential issues and conflict.
- Brings hands-on programming skills and extensive experience of using, developing, transitioning, or implementing actuarial modeling platforms at US insurer.
- Has strong data analytical and problem-solving skills with attention to details. Can drill in details to perform analyses and resolve issues and distill findings into concise summary of key conclusions and recommendations.
- Influences and engages actuaries and non-actuaries and effectively communicates technical and non-technical information.
- Navigates complexity and ambiguity, resourcefully identifies multiple solutions to a problem, and anticipates and evaluates potential courses of action.
- Bachelor’s degree in Actuarial Science, Finance, Econometrics, Statistics, Mathematics, Physics, or another quantitative discipline.
- 4 years of financial services or insurance experience that required strong analytical and modeling skills.
- Cross collaboration experience working across multiple stakeholder groups.
Authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship now or in the future.
- 7+ years of experience in financial services or insurance.
- Possesses technical qualification/credential in actuarial science, finance, and/or capital markets e.g., FSA, CFA or similar financial qualification.
- Actuarial modeling experience e.g., GGY Axis, Prophet.
- Coding skills are a plus.