Simply Business is more than our name. It's how we approach small business insurance: Make it clear. Make it simple. Make it affordable. Founded in 2005 (with our first international office in Boston launched in 2016), Simply Business is an online business insurance brokerage that specializes in one thing: protecting the businesses that entrepreneurs have worked hard to build.
Through blending a combination of technology, data, and insurance knowledge - with 10 years of expertise in the UK in how to build great products for our customers - we are looking to simplify the insurance-buying process for all small businesses across the US.
Right now we’re at the start of that journey. We need people who are looking for a challenge and have the drive and ambition to challenge the boundaries in whatever exciting project they believe in. We believe that people work more productively and imaginatively when they are free from rigid hierarchy and structures and we’re creating a colorful and collaborative environment to help support you in meeting your ambitions.
If you’re smart, passionate about delivering brilliant customer experiences across an integrated online and offline user journey, and enjoy solving complex challenges then you should apply to join our team.
As our PR Manager, you will ensure that Simply Business is driving a world-class Public Relations program that positively, and proactively, puts us in front of our small business customers and key stakeholders -- including carriers and prospective employees. You will help build out and manage the program from the very early stage of its development.
We are looking for a passionate go-getter with a Rolodex of media contacts and someone who is able to help us build brand awareness from the ground up while having fun in the process. As our PR Manager, your success will be measured by your ability to immerse yourself in our brand and tell the Simply Business story externally across all forms of media (earned, owned, paid).
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Manage US PR efforts and day-to-day agency partner relationship
- Help to develop PR strategies, campaigns, and initiatives to maintain and amplify company visibility
- Support the efforts of the marketing team to drive brand awareness, acquisition, retention, and other relevant goals
- Develop external PR and social communications assets as needed, including press releases, media alerts, bylines, reactive and proactive statements and other written materials as needed
- Supervise and review the work of external agency, providing feedback in a timely fashion and working closely with key executives to finalize written opportunities
- Develop a crisis management program
- Identify, coordinate, and attend relevant trade shows with appropriate Simply Business stakeholders
- Monitor, analyze and communicate PR results with Senior Management on a regular basis
- Proactively drive thought leadership programs for key executives and subject matter experts to amplify brand awareness through speaking, award, and media opportunities
- Develop a comprehensive media kit and corresponding assets
- Provide media training to executives in preparation for media opportunities
- Establish and nurture relationships with relevant media outlets
What We Are Looking For:
- 4-6 years of experience working in public relations or communications
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Proven track record of building out national and highly targeted PR/communications programs
- Knowledge of media, reporting methods and public relations strategies and tactics
- A passion for creative storytelling and experience with both writing and editing of press releases and thought leadership articles
- Solid relationships with relevant media outlets in the technology, small business, and business space
- Proven ability to effectively organize multiple deadlines and be detail oriented
- A vested interest in helping small businesses thrive
- Agency experience preferred
- Proven successfully executed strategies and business development
- A collaborative, positive spirit with an open mind and a strong sense of humor
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Strong writing and editing
- Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.)
- Event planning
- Social Influencer management
- Hootsuite (or other social publishing and engagement)
- Talkwalker (or other social listening/brand monitoring tools)
What are the benefits?
Working in our Boston Office, you will have the chance to shape a business from the very beginning, and an opportunity to develop and learn new skills across various technology and business areas as you desire.
Plus there’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call "core benefits".
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
• A salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day
• Group plan for medical, dental, and prescription drug coverage
• Short term disability, long term disability and life insurance coverage
• Participation in the Company’s bonus program
• Participation in 401(k) plan with a 3% employer match
• Commuter benefits to help cut down on commuting costs
• 25 days of vacation time plus 10 company holidays
• Flexible working hours and working from home
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose)and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. We trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching and lots, lots more
It’s a big claim but we genuinely believe the Simply Business culture is truly unique. You sort of have to come and spend time with us to appreciate it. So get that application in and we’ll take it from there!
Everything we do comes down to these five values – empowerment, authenticity, simplicity, learning and pioneering.
In practice, these will mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re considering working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
We believe in our people and the positive impact they can have so we enable everyone to stretch themselves
We celebrate diversity, avoid jargon and genuinely care about helping small businesses thrive
We attempt to simplify complex solutions to save our customers time and effort
We’re never done learning about new possibilities and act to explore them
We’re obsessed with finding new ways to create even better experiences
We want to meet you
As a company, we pride ourselves on inclusion in the workplace. We succeed as an organization because we are comprised of intelligent women and individuals from other underrepresented groups. We understand you don’t find that in a lot of companies, so we’re emphasizing it here should you feel any hesitation to apply for that reason.
The hiring process at Simply Business is focused on candidates who are enthusiastic about the role and company. So even if you don’t fit every qualification listed in one of our job postings, yet you feel you’d be a great fit, we’d love to meet you. With any luck we’ll be seeing you at an interview soon.