Vestmark, Inc., a privately-held SaaS provider delivering financial technology solutions to the wealth management industry, is seeking a highly qualified Senior Counsel with broad experience negotiating commercial software contracts to join its legal team. The position will gain exposure to a wide-ranging set of subject matter areas, including commercial software contract and vendor contract negotiations, private and public company compliance, employment matters, real estate leases, M&A, intellectual property management, dispute resolution, private company financing transactions and potentially, public offerings.
We envision the successful candidate as someone who considers themselves or aspires to be an “in-house generalist”, but who already has significant experience drafting and negotiating complex commercial SaaS software contracts and has the ability to manage projects and negotiations with attention to detail, a desire to meet high standards for work product, and with limited supervision. The successful candidate is expected to be able to effectively represent the legal function to the wider company and externally.
- Own the legal Deal Desk
- Draft and negotiate a range of complex commercial contracts including SaaS, license, vendor and NDAs
- Manage contract forms, including periodic review and change processes
- Resolve legal issues and contract interpretation matters that arise in existing commercial relationships
- Anticipate problems and initiate actions to ensure contractual issues are addressed efficiently
- Assist in legal support of corporate transactions (M&A, private company financing, public offerings)
- Assist in refreshing and drafting new company policies and maintaining functioning compliance function (including SEC compliance – filing of Form 4s, 8Ks, 10Ks, 10Qs and the annual proxy)
- Assist in developing and delivering trainings for employees and executives on a variety of subjects, including ethics, competition, the use of contract templates, relevant legal issues, and good contracting practices
- Assist with a variety of corporate matters including maintaining organizational documents, corporate structure, board governance and management of corporate entities
- Assist with legal support of efforts to expand business operations internationally
- Provide business partners with thoughtful legal perspective and guidance, as well as risk assessment and mitigation strategies
- 4-8 years’ experience as an attorney with a mix of Am Law 100 (not sole practitioner) law firm and in-house experience focusing on general corporate work (not litigation), and with a minimum of one-year experience working as an in-house attorney at a technology company negotiating commercial contracts.
- Specific substantive experience and interest that aligns with the following envisioned mix of practice area responsibilities:
- 50% commercial
- 20% compliance
- 20% special projects (corporate transactions, private company financing, public offerings)
- 10% mix of other subject areas (corporate governance, privacy, IP, marketing reviews, as assigned/needed)
- Preference for in-house public company experience (including SEC compliance)
- Preference for experience in drafting and negotiating SaaS software contracts
- Experience with privacy and data protection issues facing SaaS software companies
- Exercises meticulous attention to detail and an organized approach to quickly identify a problem to be solved, and then solve it
- Ability to be creative and flexible but with a focus on business-oriented outcomes
- Highly developed written and oral communications skills, with the ability to clearly articulate recommendations and options about complex legal issues
- Highly collaborative and able to organize and manage projects with multiple stakeholders and groups
- Demonstrated ability to recognize and weigh business and legal risks, lead strategically and advance innovative solutions
- Tactful with strong external negotiation skills
- Ability to quickly come up to speed and excel in matters specific to the financial technology industry including government, regulatory and security compliance
- Bar registration in Massachusetts in good standing
Vestmark is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Vestmark prohibits employment discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability status, protected military or veteran status and genetic information.