Head of Public Policy Innovation and Insights
MassMutual is a leading consumer financial services company with enduring, dynamic franchises in insurance, asset management, and retirement. A mutually owned company ranked in the Fortune 100, MassMutual’s interests are uniquely aligned with those of its policy owners. In a world of declining institutional trust and economic uncertainty, MassMutual has the strength, scale, and distinctive mutual ownership structure to “break through” as a growing franchise helping people secure their futures and protect the ones they love.
As further context, the Company is currently undergoing a far-reaching and sustained effort to transform itself by, among other steps: building a new 1,000‑person office located in Boston’s dynamic Seaport District, re‑conceptualizing its portfolio of businesses worldwide (+$8.5 billion of M&A transactions in the past two years alone), and investing in new digital franchises to serve Millennial-aged consumers more effectively (for example, HavenLife). Mutually owned – never beholden to short-term investors’ interests – MassMutual can make bold moves aligned with our values and the powerful secular trends impacting our world.
This market-leading financial services company is seeking a results-driven, engaging and dynamic leader to design, build and manage a brand new public policy team/function to support the enterprise on issues relating to public policy. This new leader will view public policy as a powerful, constructive tool set with which to shape markets and minds, drive break-through business outcomes, and improve the lives of customers and their communities. Focused neither on “spin” nor superficial “rapid response”-type efforts, the Company’s new public policy group will drive meaningful, positive impact through research, insight, effective collaboration and engagement.
As an integral part of the Company’s ongoing transformation, MassMutual’s new Head of Public Policy (and her/his team) will: (i) identify fruitful areas of global and/or U.S. public policy wherein MassMutual can drive significant positive impact aligned with our Purpose to help people secure their future and protect the ones they love; (ii) design and execute effective strategies in such areas to engage with key constituencies constructively, direct and amplify the related public discourse, and enhance MassMutual’s brand equities; and, (iii) ultimately, materially improve MassMutual’s ability to deliver against its Purpose long-term.
It is expected that policy positions adopted by the Company going forward will be implemented comprehensively and have demonstrable and sustained impact on: (i) the Company’s internal operations and practices; (ii) what is messaged to stakeholders externally; and (iii) how MassMutual allocates its substantial capital over time.
This new role will have immediate impact and frequent engagement with the Company’s CEO, Executive Leadership Team, and other leaders throughout the organization. The position reports into the Head of Strategy & Corporate Development. The Public Policy function will be part of a broader, integrated team with the Strategy, Consumer & Market Insights and Corporate Development functions. This collaboration creates unique opportunities for insights, impact, and team building in the collective pursuit of advancing the company’s corporate agenda.
- Drive the definition of MassMutual’s global/U.S. public policy agenda focused on a distinct, clearly articulated, and complementary set of long-term policy aims (and corresponding business goals)
- Drive the development/gathering and synthesis of research, including proprietary research, around high-priority topics/areas of focus
- Develop and cultivate effective public policy campaigns (and related communications channels) to direct and amplify the public discourse surrounding MassMutual’s policy aims while also enhancing MassMutual’s brand equities overall
- Closely collaborate across the entire enterprise to ensure that, ultimately, the success of MassMutual’s public policy efforts “translates” into heighten success for our various businesses, for our policy owners and customers, for our communities, and in MassMutual’s engagement with other policy actors going forward
- Identify key risks proactively and develop appropriate risk migration strategies in collaboration with other stakeholders
- Attract, develop and retain incredibly high-performing team members whose backgrounds reflect our community and who can consistently and confidently bring their whole selves to our work together and to MassMutual more broadly
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree in a related field highly valued
- Best-in-class analytical skills and a passion for analysis and data-driven problem solving
- A minimum of eight years of policy (or policy-related) experience, and a minimum of twelve years of overall work experience
- Proven ability to shape markets, shift public perceptions, and build effective coalitions, not just produce white papers and other collateral
- Demonstrated awareness of the financial services industry – with a keen understanding of the issues, challenges, and opportunities facing both U.S. financial services firms and, critically, U.S. consumers
- Proven ability to collaborate effectively with a variety of stakeholders
- Ability to create simple, powerful, and data-driven written communications for a wide variety of audiences
- Ability to present findings and insights to senior leaders in both small- and large-group settings
- Proven competency building trust-based relationships with a diverse set of clients/partners and constituencies across a large organization
- Demonstrated capabilities in building influential and engaging social media channels, media assets and related campaigns highly valued
- Creates an environment of trust through integrity, straightforwardness and competency
- Inspires high performance, demands accountability
- Thoughtfully and constructively both challenges and partners with others
- Drives timely, high-quality decision making
- Fosters diversity and innovation; thrives in and bolsters a collaborative environment