Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data and technology to make it simple, giving people the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work makes a real impact. We’re the most-visited car-shopping site in the US and we are growing fast in our international markets. Ready to come along for the ride?
We’re looking for a hands-on technical leader for our Infrastructure Engineering Team who is passionate about helping teams create software that is used by millions. Our Engineering teams solve a variety of unique challenges, from designing complex data structures and algorithms to machine learning and data analytics. We deploy code daily and use data to drive our decisions, while delivering software and analytics to consumers and dealers around the world.
Our Infrastructure Engineering team has the mission of providing infrastructure, frameworks and tools for product development engineering teams at CarGurus, making it easier for product development teams to create, deploy and iterate on high scalable, performant, maintainable and secure systems. They are also responsible for the overall health of the system, monitoring and reliability of our production and development systems. The teams work on providing build and delivery tools and at the same time works on engineering processes and architectural frameworks that help improve developer productivity, system stability and robustness. Providing a self-service infrastructure and platform is the core philosophy of the team. This is a high visibility role that reports directly to the SVP of Engineering.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead Infrastructure engineering teams in development of infrastructure as a service and world class software platform on top of that, which enables development of products.
- Work closely with engineering teams to provide guidance on overall system design and architecture
- Prioritize team efforts and plan projects in a highly iterative environment
- Work with leadership and other teams to define roadmap for the team
- Drive long term strategy for infrastructure, system architecture and development tools
- Lead the team in building easy to ramp-up, and easy to scale self-service infrastructure
- Lead the automation test team to drive increased automation coverage
- Guide and drive the team on technical direction
- Mentor team leads and individual contributors
- Manage and contribute to the rapid scaling of the team
Who You Are:
- 10+ years of Software Engineering Experience
- 4+ years of team leadership experience
- Expertise with Java, or similar object-oriented languages
- Able to lead the development, testing, and delivery of multiple software products. Desired experience in microservices architecture, containers and container management technologies.
- Drawn to and thrive in a fast-paced environment that pushes code daily
- Looking to work on challenging and highly technical problems.
- Able to collaborate well with other functional teams and come up with a roadmap for architectural platform.
- Capable of providing mentorship for team leads and be able to review of critical code/designs
- Experienced with building large scalable and self-service systems
- Understanding of MySQL or similar relational databases
- Understanding of how to build high volume, high availability, distributed systems
- Knowledge of, or desire to learn search and / or related technologies like ElasticSearch
- B.S. in Computer Science or related field (preferred)
At CarGurus, we invest in our people’s professional growth with everything from learning and development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks and benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, and more. That includes equity in the company—our way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace, but trust and transparency don’t just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—where you don’t just fit, you thrive. We don’t discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada and the UK. We have offices in Cambridge, MA; Detroit, MI; Dublin, Ireland; San Francisco, CA and London, UK. Check out our careers page to learn more.