VP Engineering, Carbon at Indigo (Greater Boston Area, MA or Remote)
Indigo Agriculture is an international Agtech startup pioneering an ambitious mission to meet our customers at the juncture where agriculture meets science and technology. Through the use of data science, soil science, natural microbiology, and innovative digital technologies, Indigo is partnering across the supply chain, ultimately cultivating a scalable climate solution and enhanced ecosystem that beneficially serves farmers, consumers, and the planet alike.
Our mission is unique, and therefore our teams are too: from multigenerational farming domain experts who understand the land as though it were an extension of themselves, to cutting-edge technologists and scientists on the frontier of innovation, our teams are a reflection of the range of the stakeholders we serve: the Earth, the Farmer, and the Consumer. We are building Indigo on a bedrock of diversity. We celebrate individuality and believe in bringing our genuine self to work every day. We deeply value collaboration informed by kindness and personal accountability.
We are looking for a VP of Engineering to run our multifunctional Indigo Carbon team. In this exceptional leadership role, you will drive our science and technology strategy, architecture, and delivery for our Ecosystem and Carbon Credit Offering. The specific mission of Indigo Carbon is to facilitate removing Carbon Dioxide and other greenhouse gases from the atmosphere by helping farmers transition to “regenerative” practices, which have been shown to draw carbon dioxide from the air into the soil as well as reduce emissions of methane and nitrous oxide (this is often called Carbon Farming). Applying this globally at scale is by some margin the single most powerful decarbonization mechanism currently in view to slow and reverse climate change.
You will report to our Chief Digital Officer and head our science, data science, and engineering teams to build a global practice change and quantification platform designed to plan, implement, measure, quantify, and certify the impact of these regenerative practices on soil health, environment, and climate.
- Inspire and lead the Indigo Carbon science, technology, and data team to deliver strategic and innovative solutions that accelerate the breadth and the scale of Indigo’s PMRV (planning, measurement, reporting, and verification) strategy
- Partner with the executive team, business, and product to set business strategy and drive execution. Identify opportunities, initiate discussions, and influence key strategy by making bold bets and high-impact decisions
- Drive strategic partnerships to evaluate emerging technologies that can improve Indigo Carbon’s unit economics for credit generation, increase our geographic and farm practice footprint, or increase the credit generation potential of farmers
- Provide scientific and technical rigor to guide policy recommendations, methodology updates, and advocacy efforts
- Attract and develop next-gen leaders and technologists with a passion for learning, data-driven decision making, experimentation, and innovation
- Direct and manage a high-performing team of soil scientists, agronomists, modelers, data scientists, and engineers; continuing to build a strong, cohesive, inclusive culture. Serve as a thought partner to grow and scale the Indigo Technology Platform
- Work across Technology, Offering, Ops, and Sales teams to bring the best of Indigo technology to Sustainability
- You enjoy having a strategic impact across the organization while partnering with other leaders across Technology, Offer, Operations, and Sales to identify problems and apply rigorous analysis and strong judgment toward important business decisions
- You have a deep background in engineering, applied data science, machine learning, data engineering, and science. You have a track record of working across multifunctional disciplines such as science, technology, regulatory policy, and business
- You have an M.S. or Ph.D. in a quantitative field such as Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics, Statistics, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Physics, Operations Research, etc;
- You have a track record of building and leading large (100+), multi-functional, and distributed teams. Passionate about building cohesive, high-performing, and healthy organizations with a focus on diversity and inclusion, individual growth, career development, and functional excellence
- You have experience building complex data-driven computational platforms processing high volumes of data and incorporating advanced computational methods at scale
- You are comfortable working in high-growth, dynamic, and rapidly changing startup environments
- You have exceptional communication skills and can bring together technical, scientific, policy, and business audiences. You create effective communication frameworks to facilitate the discussion and understanding of complex topics
- You care deeply about our mission to harness nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet
- You understand and embody our core values:
- We strive to do what’s right for people and the planet
- We act responsibly as a leader at the forefront of progress
- We cultivate a sense of belonging, well-being, and connection
- We grow with our customers and partners
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.Benefits:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Generous time off
- Parental leave
- A remote-first organization with flexible work hours
- Catered Lunches
- Commuter benefits
- 401(k) plan