Chewy is looking for a UX/UI Developer to join our Design System team at our Boston, MA office. You will focus on helping improve the overall user experience of Chewy’s digital platforms. You will use and help create common and reusable UI components and UX patterns to establish consistency across the customer experience.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about envisioning experiences that push imaginative solutions. This person should be comfortable working with cross-functional teams, including Researchers, Designers, Product Managers, and other Development teams. The ideal candidate will bring a forward-thinking design aesthetic, demonstrated knowledge of industry best practices, and the drive to deliver results as part of a dynamic, cross-functional team.
What you'll do:
- Collaborate with creative and technical teams to deliver first class user-centric experiences.
- Guide the team in making intelligent technical tradeoffs
- Proactively explore new technologies through research and applied innovation.
- Actively participate in agile ceremonies as part of project execution.
- Identify and communicate design and development best practices including naming conventions, code styling, etc.
- Create a Style Guide and Component Library Build efficient and reusable UI components
- Maintain and improve UI components
- Introduce new components fully tested and design approved
- Design and develop prototypes and static mock-ups to pass them to the front-end team for data wiring and logic implementation.
- Confidently articulate (spoken and written) how a solution answers user needs, business goals, and technical constraints.
- Attend and actively participate in daily stand-up, grooming, planning, and sprint retrospective meetings.
- Whiteboard and ideate with colleagues from varied backgrounds to get great ideas born and sold in low fidelity.
- Constantly aim to improve yourself.
- Advocate for the customer
- Position may require some travel
What you'll need:
- Demonstrated expertise in leading UI technologies and practices, including HTML 5, CSS (preferarbly Sass/PostCSS)
- Experience building large-scale web apps with a reusable component architecture
- Experience with web development frameworks
- Experience using, integrating, and optimizing front end build tools (Webpack / Rollup)
- Awareness of cross-browser compatibility issues and client-side performance considerations
- Ability to write high-performance, reusable code
- Experience with code repository tools and concepts such as Git
- Advanced understanding of responsive design patterns and principles
- A passionate self-starter looking to grow his/her skillset within the UX/UI space
- Interested in art and design, but being an actual designer is not required
- Strong listening, organization, and communication skills
- A user-centered approach to designing digital experiences for people
- A collaborative, low-ego approach to working with others
- Empathy for our customers and your teammates
- To be T-shaped, with knowledge and experience across a variety of skill sets, but go very deep on one or two
- A sense of humor
- Ability to teach something—show us your superpower
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent industry experience
- Experience with accessibility and ADA compliance
- Experience in front-end testing tools a big plus
- Experience with Sketch and Invision or equivalent software (XD, Studio, etc.)
- A portfolio of work you’ve done
- Production experience with Angular, React, VueJS or other modern UI frameworks
- Experience building web apps with reusable component architecture
- E-commerce experience
- Animation chops