At Notarize, we’re pulling the future closer. As the first company to complete a legal online notarization, online mortgage closing, online will, online auto sale, and countless other critical transactions, we’re proud of our role in bringing industries into the digital age. Digital transformation at Notarize may require new products, new legislation, new partnerships, or new teams and new ways of working. We’ve never shied from doing whatever it takes to help people with life’s most important transactions, online, and we’re building the team to operate a critical platform company in tomorrow’s economy.
We're looking for highly experienced Staff- and Principal-level Back-End Engineers to join our engineering team. You'll be a technical leader on one of our product / engineering teams, balancing your experience as a team mentor with exceptionally strong individual contribution.
Notarize is a rapidly growing company expanding into several new verticals. This brings exciting opportunities to work on cutting edge technologies and make a meaningful impact on greenfield projects.
A few examples of what we have in store:
- Brand new features for facilitating major real estate transactions, connecting real estate agents, title agents, buyers, lenders, and other stakeholders in these transactions
- Building out features, integrations and possibly new UIs for new vertical markets
- Creating new SDKs and APIs to allow users to build out their own apps that integrate with various Notarize services
- Major platform scalability and security improvements, to prepare for orders of magnitude more traffic
- Digital signing certificates - possibly including setting up our own hardware security module or becoming our own certificate authority
- Evolving our platform towards a more modular architecture
- Rethinking our mobile app platform - possibly moving towards cross platform apps or a fully responsive web app
- The main pieces of our back-end stack are Ruby on Rails 6.0.3, Postgres through AWS RDS, Redis/Sidekiq and Heroku. We also use React.js and GraphQL with Apollo on the front-end, but we consider ourselves platform agnostic. A willingness to learn and experiment with new tech is much more important than hands-on experience with our current stack. Most importantly, we want thoughtful, collaborative engineers who are comfortable adapting to new technology and new opportunities. We are solving complex challenges to scale our tech stack 10X, 100X to meet the rapid growth of the company.
What you'll do as a Staff/Principal Back-End Engineer at Notarize:
- Lead the design and implementation of new product capabilities, as well as the evolution of existing ones
- Establish and champion the adoption of high quality software development practices, from tech design to deploy-to-production
- Mentor and coach fellow engineers of all levels
- Impact the technical direction of not only your team but the engineering organization as a whole
- Directly drive customer impact of our products by partnering with others across the organization to solve the problems that matter the most to our customers
- As we continue to expand our engineering department, there will be opportunities for formal team leadership positions if that aligns with your goals
What we're looking for:
- Ten plus years of experience in product software development
- Practical knowledge and experience with software development best practices and processes and the ability to put those into play in a team environment
Some of our benefits:
- Competitive salaries & equity
- Heavily subsidized medical, dental, and vision
- Unlimited PTO & flexible work schedules
- Paid parental leave
- Annual budget for personal learning & development
- Small, cross-functional teams
- Paid lunches (through Grubhub) & regular Lunch & Learn sessions
Our core values:
- Solve Problems That Matter: We serve some of the most important moments in people's lives. It's a responsibility we embrace by focusing obsessively on the issues that will have a quantifiable impact on our customers and our company growth.
- Yes Before No: We are optimistic about our ability to change lives by transforming outmoded processes. We believe our efforts can create a better future, and it is our attitude that will allow us to pull that future closer.
- Start With Why: We don't presume to understand the intentions of the people around us, whether coworkers or customers. We ask honest questions and listen to feedback in order to gain insight, build trust, and create memorable experiences.
- Stamp Together: We create a strong team and a welcoming workplace by valuing diverse perspectives. Every role in our organization is supported and valued equally, without regard to location or background.
Notarize is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We'd love to hear from you.