Staff Database Reliability Engineer (Hybrid) at Vestmark, Inc.
Help us pioneer our exciting new Application Performance Management (APM) offering. This role is critical to Vestmark’s future strategic growth plans. The ideal Database Reliability Engineer will bring unrelenting positivity, eagerness for professional growth, and a strong desire to have a major impact by engaging with key decision makers on a regular basis to guide future product and technology decisions.
The Support Maintenance team is responsible for helping maintain VestmarkONE applications for all of Vestmark’s production clients. The team proactively monitors client environments for signs of performance degradation or areas for possible improvement. We work together to resolve complex configuration issues.
You will be Vestmark’s primary Database Performance and Reliability Expert and will use that knowledge to help grow our capabilities now and in the future.
You will be entrusted with driving observability and best practices adoption across multiple functional disciplines within Vestmark. Your recommendations will guide product development and implementation practices as well as influence support strategy across several different critical teams.
To do this, you’ll focus on the database monitoring, maintenance, and operational support powering Vestmark's many Enterprise-Level client-facing applications. Your product improvement and workflow recommendations will further enhance the scalability of our service offerings.
- Be a thought leader within Vestmark and evangelize the important of observability and best practices
- Provide guidance and mentorship to various support personnel to assist in building out Vestmark’s new APM program
- Optimize new and existing database deployments for cost and performance
- Perform triage and troubleshooting of urgent application performance escalations related to database performance
- Develop or recommend enhanced observability toolset to help detect performance bottlenecks and prevent issues before they happen
- Execute, standardize, and automate database maintenance activities including re-indexing, deployment of new indexes, and statistic updates on as-needed basis
- Provide strong post-incident analysis of issues with recommendations to prevent future occurrences
- Participate as the Database Subject Matter Expert in Vestmark’s APM trend review sessions targeting our largest customers
- Engage and guide our Engineering and Products teams to help drive application improvements
- Follow SDLC best practices when developing and testing configuration changes
Required Experience and Skills:
- BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Familiarity with Solarwinds or equivalent
- Strong understanding of RDBMS and database architecture
- Eye for detail and exceptional troubleshooting skills
- Excellent documentation and communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with multiple different groups of varying technical skill
- Ability to handle problem situations quickly, inventively, and resourcefully
- Experience support enterprise level clients in OLTP environments
- Experience supporting SQL Database environments in AWS
- Familiarity with dashboarding and querying in Splunk
- Familiarity with additional APM tools (i.e. – AppDynamics, LogicMonitor, Grafana, etc)
- Understanding of multiple SQL technologies (PostgreSQL, MongoDB, etc)
- MSCS is a plus
- Experience as a member of a Site Reliability team
- Previous SaaS application support experience
- Relevant financial industry systems experience (e.g. Portfolio Management, Trading, Middle/Back Office Operations)
Vestmark is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Vestmark prohibits employment discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability status, protected military or veteran status, and genetic information.