Soofa is the neighborhood news feed that connects a community with screens everyone can see and anyone can use. We're a woman-founded MIT startup with a mission to make cities smart, social, and sustainable.
Join the Product team at Soofa, where we have designed an incredibly powerful platform from the ground up for making cities more equitable, social, and accessible. You will tackle hard problems here—for our customers, our company, and our partners—and you will get to see the light in their eyes when you do it. We are a tightly-knit strike team who is passionate about moving the needle with innovative technology, making data-driven decisions, and pushing the boundaries of our expertise. We get to wrestle with cutting-edge technology spanning multiple disciplines all day long— the Internet of Things, electronic paper, solar power generation and storage, proprietary sensing methodologies, AND MORE!
Candidates from underrepresented communities are especially encouraged to apply. Remote applicants welcome.
Soofa is for people with a shared stake in a special place. Join us!
You will be the expert that will bring Soofa to the next level. You will own a complex, exciting, and capable tech stack, and decide what needs to be re-engineered and what needs to be enhanced. You will have a significant impact on our bottom line, directly impacting our profitability and ROI. You will decide what is out there on the horizon and how we can bring it to bear to solve our customers' problems. On Day 1, you will be presented with a major new initiative that will revolutionize our capabilities.
- Facilitate communication: Structure, lead, and facilitate design meetings and workshops, internally and externally
- Understand problems: Uncover and analyze current states, define key outcomes, design and test conceptual solutions
- Design solutions: Establish the architectural approach, lead requirements analysis, plan for milestones, manage outcomes, and oversee engineer tasking
- Execute: Get in there, pound the pavement, push code, make sure it gets done
- Educate: coach team on patterns, frameworks, and approaches
- Evangelize: disseminate innovations externally via blog posts and speaking engagements
- Significant engineering experience: 5+ years experience, with some portion of that focused on micro-architecture scaling problems, automation, and infrastructure
- Programming chops: You write code, language is not a barrier, whether it is for scripting, applications, et al.
- Database expert: You've used everything under the sun and know which tool is right for the job.
- Must have worked on Agile projects and understand Scrum.
- Passionate about bringing clarity into the product. Ambiguity doesn’t scare you
- Strong understanding of how to work effectively with engineering leadership and engineering teams directly
- Passion for how the work gets done as much as the work itself
- Ability to build alignment across multiple teams and stakeholders
- Ability to tailor your communication to any audience
- Comfortable facilitating meetings and ensuring all voices in the room are heard
Bonus Points For
- Significant contribution into a large open source hardware project
- Experience with headless browser environments
- Experience with server side image processing
- Experience with IoT stacks and hardware, especially low-power scenarios
- You understand how to write front-end tests
Perks of Working with Soofa
- Best of both worlds: Soofa’s Cambridge HQ is open, safe, and compliant for anyone who wants to use it; or, work from home
- Generous healthcare, dental, and parental leave packages
- Free short- and long-term disability and life insurance
- Unlimited PTO
- Dog-friendly office
- Virtual team events
- Company culture focused on talent development and caring personally
Soofa is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, genetic information, arrest record, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Soofa is dedicated to this policy with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, and general treatment during employment.