Software Engineer, MSS at Chewy
Chewy is growing and we are looking to expand our merchandising systems and services team (MSS) with talented software engineers in multiple locations. If you are a Software Engineer and interested in building a platform from the ground up that will be highly impactful and visible to leadership at Chewy, please apply! This role may sit in any of our FL, WA, MA, or MN office locations and is not 100% remote, but we will be operating in a hybrid model once we return to the office.
You will be a software engineer with a BS in CS, or related degree/experience, focused on Full Stack Development; a focus on 60% Backend/40% FED. The MSS team is building a inhouse vendor portal platform that will have best in class security features, scale, and the capability to give our 2500+ vendors a great user experience for the 7+ Billion in digital inventory at Chewy. The platform is being built in Java, AWS, NodeJS, Angular and/or React but you will have an engineering foundation like this or will have the ability to adapt to build. This is a role that will support the creation & deployment of new concept prototypes related to application, system & services supporting standardization, optimization, automation, and process infrastructure of the Merchandising business & operations.
About this team:
Our team’s mission is to be the backbone for Chewy’s Category, Pricing & Vendor team by design, and develop world-class system prototypes helping them to win long-term customer trust, business growth, and profitability. This role will give you the chance to use your deep technical expertise to accelerate the adoption of the very best engineering practices, while maintaining knowledge on industry innovations, trends, and practices. You will help drive innovation, scalability, light-weight integrations, and maintainability while collaborating with our internal engineering/IT teams.
What You will Do:
- Develop System / Component prototypes (front & back end both) and APIs (Interact with the full application stack) for a rapidly scaling platform for vendor management, while ensuring successful product delivery and operational excellence
- Design, develop and implement large-scale distributed systems prototypes with large volumes of data, focusing on scalability, latency, and resiliency
- Prototype and develop new customer experiences for internal partners and external vendor applications with web technologies
- Design and build responsive, accessible and performant UX components for mobile and desktop web experiences
- Develop cloud native designs and implementation within public clouds, primarily AWS
- Review code, implementation and provide meaningful feedback that helps other prototype engineers to build better prototypes
- Experience in using DevOps principles and techniques to delivery high quality software prototypes with the least technical debt possible
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or related field, or equivalent experience
- 4+ years of experience for Software Engineer; 6+ for Sr. Software Engineer, or 10+ for Lead Software, 14+ for Principal Engineer; leveling flexibility based on interview data.
- Project experience using Java, AWS, NodeJS, React, Angular, Vue.JS or similar frameworks and/or libraries. Solid CS Development experience will be considered.
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced, ambiguous, prototyping environment.
- High level of innovation and engineering creativity desired, this is a building role not a maintenance role.
Bonus experience (What skills you will gain in this role):
- Understanding of testing automation, including the building of scrappy coding/automation for testing code faster
- Experience in Retail, E-Commerce or Technology Industry, Merchandising & Vendor Management focus a plus
- Strong engineering background building Products/prototypes that are E-Commerce scale
- Experience in Software Quality Processes and Atlassian Tools (Confluence, JIRA, etc.)
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at our company, please contact [email protected]
Congratulations on finding your next great role with us Chewy!
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Chewy, please contact HR at chewy dot com