Senior Software Engineer (Full Stack / UX) at 3Play Media
About the Job
We’re thrilled to announce that we’re hiring to grow our team and our products! 3Play Media offers a truly unique opportunity to work in a small team of developers in a company that offers both a startup-minded size and culture while being robustly backed by a steady stream of customers and projects. Every day, our system processes hundreds of hours of video content, helping us to improve and expand the way people consume online media to make more of the web’s video content accessible. We’re also very excited to have a few brand-new products in our pipeline!
We are looking for an experienced full-stack developer with strong front-end skills and a proven track record of implementing applications that delight their users. You will be responsible both for contributing to the development of the existing product line as well as helping to brainstorm, design, and roll out new products. A strong work ethic combined with an imaginative spirit and good teamwork are all a must for this role! You will take charge of your own projects, pair with and mentor junior developers, and learn from a highly interdisciplinary team with skills including code architecture, application infrastructure, video and audio processing, data science, and business analytics.
Role and Responsibilities
- Pitch, design, and implement new products that complement our core transcription and accessibility products
- Form and defend strong opinions for UX design of new product ideas
- Expand our transcript editing tools, used by hundreds of our captioners and customers to efficiently edit time-synchronized text along with a video source
- Add creative new features to our interactive transcript and video accessibility plugins
- Build integrations to third-party APIs including video hosting platforms, cloud-based machine learning services, and speech-to-text and text-to-speech services
- Aggregate, analyze, and visualize large data sets across hundreds of thousands of hours and billions of words worth of uploaded video content
- Contribute your expertise to help review and improve code written by other developers
- Pitch in with the team when a component of our applications demand immediate attention
- Strong grasp of CS fundamentals: algorithms, data structures, and design patterns
- Demonstrated passion for user experience focused design
- Proficiency in a coding language such as Ruby, Python, Java, or C++
- Experience with modern front-end design patterns and/or frameworks — bonus points for additional experience integrating these patterns into legacy applications!
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Eagerness for leadership and mentorship with an enthusiasm for robust debate
- Excellent problem solving and debugging ability
- An insatiable curiosity to discover how everything works under the hood
Nice to Haves
- Ruby on Rails (you will end up using it here!)
- Front-end frameworks including Angular or React
- Familiarity with algorithms and algorithmic complexity
- Formal training in a cs-related field
- Git & Github or other collaborative version control systems
- Bonus points for mobile development!
About the Company
3Play Media is a rapidly growing, profitable technology company with a startup culture making a huge impact on the way people consume online media. We provide premium captioning, transcription, audio description, and translation solutions to over 2,500 higher ed, enterprise, media, and government customers. Our goal is to simplify the workflow through flexible APIs, a secure online account system, and integrations with a multitude of players, platforms, and lecture capture systems. We got our start in 2008 out of MIT Sloan and we are based in Boston, MA.
We have an awesome work environment! Our team is hard working, laid back, and fun. There are no politics or wasteful meetings and projects get done quickly and efficiently. The team is dedicated to building a successful company. We have a spacious office with lots of natural light, a game room and a friendly dog named Bo who shares our views and ambitions. At times you will need to work long and difficult hours, but the work is fun, interesting, and gratifying. Your work will have a direct impact on our company’s success.
Location and Perks
Boston, MA – Fort Point on the Red Line near South Station. We are in the heart of Boston’s thriving Innovation District at the Boston Seaport. New restaurants and bars are popping up regularly, and we are surrounded by Boston’s buzzing tech scene.
- Competitive compensation
- Stock options
- Vision plan
- Vacation/sick pay
- Disability and life insurance
- Transportation subsidy
- Company outings/social events
- Beer/kombucha/cold brew on tap