Principal Software Engineer at Chewy
Chewy is seeking a talented and motivated Principal Software Engineer to join our IT Corporate Systems team in Boston, MA.
As a Principal Software Engineer at Chewy, you will lead in innovating designing, and building services and frameworks that enable Chewy.com to provide solutions to several business and technology initiatives. Delivering reliable and high-performance services and features at Chewy’s scale requires technical leaders with extraordinary expertise and boundless creativity. At Chewy, Principal Software Engineers are constantly innovating, developing frameworks, establishing governance, and defining the architecture for our next generation platforms. They understand our business goals, collaborate with other leaders, innovate rapidly, delivering high-quality and high-value functionality.
What does it take to thrive as a Principal Engineer at Chewy? You need to be innovative, creative, responsible, and curious while leading a team of engineers to move quickly to deliver results for our customers. You’re excited about designing and implementing solutions that scale and engage customers to understand what’s needed to meet their needs. You’re able to think about platforms, architecture, design principles, understand operational implications, and lead us in evolving our service architecture during a single conversation. You’re looking to work with engineering leadership and mentor a team of bright, capable engineers to implement your vision.
What You'll Do:
- Design, develop and implement large scale distributed systems with large volumes of data focusing on scalability, latency, and fault tolerance
- Bring an expert understanding of the systems, their dependencies, and can forecast and mitigate challenges effectively
- Hold a high bar for the quality of the architecture and design of systems, while striving to keep it simple too.
- Drive innovation through rapid prototyping and iterative development
- Work with a team of highly skilled engineers, developing and enabling highly scalable platforms to power our e commerce ecosystem
- Be the expert when it comes to design principles, service-oriented architecture and developing applications of scale in the cloud while maintaining knowledge on industry innovations, trends, and practices
- Set engineering excellence to the team and have the drive to focus on scalability, resiliency, high availability & performance of applications
- Actively mentor engineers, build and foster a strong engineering team culture and be a key contributor in raising the bar of the engineering org
- Generate and analyze engineering metrics to inform leadership in making data driven decisions
- Champion quality initiatives and best practices to enable the team to continue to develop high quality, maintainable, and performant code
- Effectively communicate with and influence key stakeholders across the enterprise, at all levels of the organization
- Display excellent verbal and written communication and be able to convey dissenting opinions in a constructive manner, particularly written communications
What You'll Need:
- Exceptional leadership, communication skills
- 15+ years of industry work experience
- 10+ years of experience leading and developing large scale projects and initiatives
- 10+ years of software engineering experience with Java
- Payment domain expertise
- Experience in the e-commerce or payments industries
- Experience with payment processing solutions
- Ability to collaborate effectively with a diverse, talented team
- Strong expert experience in cloud native technology stack (AWS) and service-oriented architecture
- Position may require some travel
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Chewy, please contact [email protected]