More About the Role
We are seeking platform-focused SREs to ensure reliable delivery of projects and implement standardized solutions across web and mobile ecosystems. Front End Platform SREs embed with their Software Engineering counterparts and co-own critical system designs. We ensure software and processes implemented are high quality, success is measured effortlessly through observability, Service Level Objectives (SLOs) are rigorous, solutions are systemized and well-designed.
We're all about connecting hungry diners with our network of over 300,000 restaurants nationwide. Innovative technology, user-friendly platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities set us apart and make us an industry leader in the world of online food ordering. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us
Grubhub is a place where authentically fun culture meets innovation and teamwork. We believe in empowering people and opening doors for new opportunities. If you're looking for a place that values strong relationships, embraces diverse ideas-all while having fun together-Grubhub is the place for you!
The Impact You Will Make
- Be embedded within the Front End Platform Software Engineering team and co-own critical system designs and processes for web and mobile platforms ensuring a high bar of integrity.
- Implement standardized tooling, processes and architectures that are repeatable, secure and safe to deliver high quality software.
- Advocate Engineering Operational Excellence through sound principles and solid fundamentals. Furthermore, enable service teams the ability to independently measure success through comprehensive end-to-end observability.
- Contribute to improving internal tools and automation to make maintaining production services easier, safer and more robust.
- Facilitate testing frameworks to minimize gaps and manual intervention.
- Be a subject matter expert on how the platform operates and a contact point for software engineering teams.
- Drive solutions for new standards, CI/CD, end-to-end observability, runtime architecture designs and others.
What You Bring to the Table
- Software Engineering experience: Python, Java, Go, or a similar object-oriented language
- Microservice Architecture and Application design experience
- Distributed monitoring experience: SLOs, metrics, tracing, etc
- Working knowledge of Cloud technologies (AWS, GCP, Compute/Containers, Storage, etc)
- Understanding of the following: CDN (content delivery network), reverse web proxy, web caching, SPA (Single Page Application), orchestration tooling and IaC (Infrastructure as Code)
- Technical writing, documentation, clear communication skills
- Highly trafficked web-based service experience
About Our Tech
- Tooling / Automation Code: Python
- Service Code: TypeScript, Swift, Kotlin, Java (Spring/Guice) REST / RPC
- Monitoring: Datadog, New Relic Splunk, Lightstep
- Cloud (AWS) Technologies: EC2, S3, Lambda, etc
- Principles: Always hot+hot (N+1 datacenters, external providers, etc), cache all the things, secure from the start, load / unit / functional tests for everything, measure everything (metrics)
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO/PTO. Grubhub employees enjoy a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Health and Wellness. Excellent medical benefits, employee network groups and paid parental leave are just a few of our programs to support your overall well-being.
- Competitive Pay. You'll receive a competitive base salary with eligibility for generous incentives, bonuses, commission or RSUs (role-specific).
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. We empower you to be a leader and grow your career through training, coaching and mentorship opportunities.
- MealPerks. Get meals on us! Our employees get a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives like Wellness Wednesdays, Slack competitions and virtual happy hours!
- Social Impact. At Grubhub we believe in giving back through programs like the Grubhub Community Relief Fund and donating $1 million to the Equal Justice Initiative in 2020. Employees are also given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
Vaccination Requirement: Grubhub employees are required to be fully vaccinated, and must be able to show proof of full-Covid-19 vaccination, and booster if eligible, prior to starting employment. Fully vaccinated is defined as: "2 weeks have passed since your second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson's vaccine." Those eligible to receive the booster must receive the booster to be considered fully vaccinated, and those not yet eligible will be required to obtain the booster once eligible (6 months post last dose).
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage a workplace that is just as diverse as the customers we serve. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. If you're applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an email to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
CA Privacy Notice: If you are a resident of the State of California and would like a copy of our CA privacy notice, please email [email protected]