Engineering Manager - Events Pipeline at Klaviyo (Greater Boston Area, MA)
At Klaviyo, we value the unique backgrounds, experiences and perspectives each Klaviyo (we call ourselves Klaviyos) brings to our workplace each and every day. We believe everyone deserves a fair shot at success and appreciate the experiences each person brings beyond the traditional job requirements. If you’re a close but not exact match with the description, we hope you’ll still consider applying.
Why You Should Join the Event Pipeline Team
Klaviyo is growing fast and we have openings for all skill levels across all of our teams. Learn more about our engineering culture at https://klaviyo.tech
We love tackling tough engineering problems and look for employees who specialize in certain areas but are passionate about building, owning & scaling features end to end from scratch and breaking through any obstacle or technical challenge in their way. We push each other to move out of our comfort zone, learn new technologies, and work hard to ensure each day is better than the last.
Klaviyo operates a real-time data analytics platform coded primarily in Python that is built for massive scale and hosted on Amazon Web Services (AWS). Engineers come to Klaviyo with experience in a variety of languages and from a number of disciplines.
The event pipeline team is responsible for the software that ingests customer events at a massive scale, then transforms and stores that data to provide it to downstream systems for further analysis. Team members are experts in SaaS technologies such as queueing systems, sharded databases, load balancers and caches, and have a passion for reliability and high performance.
How You Will Make a Difference
- Own features that thousands of our customers rely on daily to reach 1,000,000,000+ of consumers to drive their business forward
- Coordinate a team of 4-8 engineers to deliver projects that enhance our highly scalable real-time data pipeline that processes billions of events monthly across data sets growing to petabyte scale
- Think in systems and design architectural patterns, while acting as a technical guide to others during architecture design and improving existing architectural patterns to ensure they are performant and scalable.
- Participate in the technical interview process to help maintain a high bar for our growing teams
- Be empowered to own the mission, technical direction and operations of projects that have immediate impact
Who You Are
- Have 7+ years of experience and have architected, built and delivered at least one complex data processing system
- Know how to apply off-the-shelf technologies to solve technical problems, and know when it’s time to build your own
- Proven success creating direction and specifications for others
- Ability to execute independently across a wide array of areas as well as mentor and level up others
- Experience setting higher-level technical direction and process with the help of peers and senior management
- Have experience building products that matter and pushing yourself and your team to be better engineers and build a product with passionate advocates
- Enjoy working with new technologies and are particularly passionate and an expert in multiple areas. You show this by having strong and opinionated experience with various technologies and know how to pick the right tool for any job
- Love digging into performance and scalability issues to drive breakthrough solutions-- whether it's a slow loading UI or too many clicks in a workflow, a database query timing out or a queue that just won’t drain. You recognize all problems can be solved
- Able to work with others to proactively set project and feature requirement, including work timelines prioritization
- Experience onboarding and mentoring new team members while facilitate a learning culture and an environment where they can enhance their own skills
Get to Know Klaviyo
Klaviyo is a world-leading marketing automation platform dedicated to accelerating revenue and customer connection for online businesses. Klaviyo makes it easy to store, access, analyze and use transactional and behavioral data to power highly-targeted customer and prospect communications. The company's hybrid customer-data and marketing-platform model allows companies to grow by fostering direct relationships with customers, without giving up their valuable data to popular big-tech ad platforms. Over 265,000 innovative companies like Unilever, Custom Ink, Living Proof and Huckberry sell more with Klaviyo. Learn more at www.klaviyo.com.
If you are a Colorado resident and this role is a remote role, you can receive additional information about the compensation and benefits for this role, which we will provide upon request. Requests can be submitted here. Additional information regarding benefits can be found here.
Klaviyo is committed to diversity and to a policy of equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.