Distinguished Engineer Ecommerce Platforms at Chewy
Chewy is looking for a Distinguished Engineer Ecommerce Platforms to join our Ecommerce Engineering Team based in Boston, MA. Chewy’s mission is to empower people to make smarter decisions about buying products used by Pets. We do that by making the industry transparent through highly engaging platform that is driven through artificial intelligence and data. The Ecommerce Engineering team builds the Chewy.com platform to become the best in class ecommerce platform. This role will report directly to the VP of Software Engineering. The Distinguished Engineer will lead the architecture of the ecommerce team that is responsible for Chewy.com. The team builds the website to support discoverability of products, registration of users, and helps pet owners purchase products.
Distinguished Engineers are…
- Deep technical experts and thought leaders that help accelerate adoption of the very best engineering practices, while maintaining knowledge on industry innovations, trends and practices
- Visionaries, collaborating on Chewy’s toughest issues, to deliver on business needs that directly impact the lives of our customers
- Role models and mentors, helping to coach and strengthen the technical expertise and know-how of our engineering and product community
- Evangelists, both internally and externally, helping to elevate the Distinguished Engineering community and establish themselves as a go-to resource on given technologies and technology-enabled capabilities
- Leaders who gain the trust and confidence of those around them, from hands on engineers to executives
What you'll do:
- Develop Systems , Component architectures and APIs that meet the test of time. Articulate and evangelize architectural principles reciprocally with engineering teams that ensure that system components fit and last and align with company’s business direction.
- Work with engineering teams to provide continuous architecture and design mentorship / leadership and be a source of support that ensures successful product delivery and operational excellence in production.
- Leverage sound judgment and problem solving techniques to tackle some of chewy.com most mission-critical problems and connect the dots to broader implications of the work
- Promote a culture of engineering excellence and being well-managed, using opportunities to reuse and innersource solutions where possible
- Effectively communicate with and influence key stakeholders across the enterprise, at all levels of the organization
- Design, develop and implement large-scale distributed systems with large volumes of data, focusing on scalability, latency, and fault-tolerant
- Lead research initiatives for cloud native designs and implementation within public and private clouds, working in a cloud infrastructure ecosystem consisting of VMs, Kubernetes, and containers.
- Drive innovation through rapid prototyping and iterative development.
- Conduct design and code reviews and raise the bar on engineering rigor and standard
- Debug production issues across services and tech stack
- Continuously measure and optimize the performance, effectiveness, and uptime of backend services
- Operate as a trusted advisor for a specific technology, platform or capability domain, helping to shape use cases and implementation in an integrated manner
- Strike the right balance between lending expertise and providing an inclusive environment where others ideas can be heard and championed
What you'll need:
- 15+ years of industry work experience
- Knowledge of cloud technologies, such as AWS, Azure, and/or Google Cloud.
- Strong programming language experience in any of the following languages Java , Python
- BS/MS in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent, with 15+ or more years in software engineering, design and architecture
- Experience presenting to Senior Leadership
- Position may require some travel
- Strong engineering background building Products that are ecommerce scale
- Prior roles in Ecommerce or in technology companies
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at our company, please contact [email protected]