Director of Software Engineering, Sustainability at Indigo (Greater Boston Area, MA or Remote)
| Greater Boston Area | Remote
Sorry, this job was removed at 6:03 a.m. (EST) on Thursday, January 19, 2023
Indigo Ag is a mission-driven company dedicated to harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. We innovate across a breadth of technology and science disciplines to help enhance agriculture's long-term sustainability and profitability and mitigate the climate crisis. We seek to positively impact the world through the digital and biological solutions we bring to the market, creating a more resilient earth, healthier economies, and thriving communities. Our people build partnerships, explore the science, and engineer the technology to help grow the future of sustainable agriculture. The only way to achieve it is through a unique combination of expertise – from Fortune 500 to academia, soil science and agriculture, to tech start-ups.
As a Director of Engineering, you will guide a large part of our Engineering team to build the best Software for our Users in a scalable and reliable way, while creating delightful product experiences. The work of your team will span the entirety of the Carbon Farming user journey, Front End and Back End.
The specific mission of Indigo Carbon is to facilitate removing Carbon Dioxide and other greenhouse gases from the atmosphere through helping farmers transition to “regenerative” practices, which have been shown to draw carbon from the air into the soil as well as reduce emissions of things like Methane and Nitrous Oxide (this is often called Carbon Farming). Applying this globally at scale is by some margin the single most powerful decarbonization mechanism currently known.
- Collaborate with Product, Design, Research, and other functional experts to shape a shared, data-driven engineering vision for your Team
- Cultivate a culture of execution excellence and rigor
- Support, develop and grow a healthy Engineering team
- Provide technical leadership and mentorship to Software Engineers across Carbon and Indigo overall
- Partner with Product, Design, and cross-functional teams to inform, influence, support, and execute product strategy and investments
- Have successfully run one or more engineering teams from architecture through release, maintenance, and support
- Are self-directed and enjoy building server-side & client-side applications, as well as figuring out the most important problem to work on
- Own problems end-to-end, and are willing to pick up whatever knowledge you're missing to get the job done
- Enjoy collaborating across multiple disciplines, including product, design, and data science
- Know how to communicate in a remote-first environment
- Believe in the model of servant leadership and extreme ownership
- You are passionate about creating good user experiences
- 7+ years of experience in Software Engineering or a similar role
- 3+ years managing software engineering teams
- Experience Managing Managers
- Track record of shipping consumer web applications with end-to-end ownership (Front End and Back End)
- Experience initiating and driving projects to completion with minimal guidance
- Demonstrated experience in hiring, retaining, and scaling high-performing teams
- Ph.D or Masters or a Graduate Degree in Computer Science, Math, Statistics, Physics, Engineering, or related quantitative field
- Experience in a startup environment
- Experience with Agriculture in some form is a big plus
At Indigo, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and team members. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation, and related medical conditions), national, social or ethnic origin, age, physical, mental or sensory disability, marital status, family or parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, family medical history or genetic information, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Indigo believes that diversity, equity, and inclusion among our team members are critical to our success. We seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
If you’re applying for a job in the U.S. and need reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please email [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Read Full Job Description