Director, Software Engineering of Customer Platform/Pet Health at Chewy
Chewy is looking for a Director – Customer Platforms to lead the Software Engineering team focused on Pet Health Tools. You will be working closely with the core Pet Health business and engineering teams to support the internal applications used by Pharmacy Technicians, Pharmacists and dealing with Vet and Clinic data. You will be building solutions to improve operational efficiencies and put a data governance framework in place for the clinic and vet data. This will involve working closely with other engineering teams (and their leadership) which support these applications in a distributed manner. You will be responsible for grooming and mentoring the existing team of talented engineers as well as hiring teams which will enable supporting these applications for scale. You will manage multiple agile software development projects of varying size and complexity from inception to completion. This entails innovating processes, reporting, and aligning development strategies to support Chewy’s explosive growth.
What you'll do:
- Lead the development roadmap for the Healthcare Management Systems used by Pharmacists and Technicians.
- Set up data governance framework to ensure quality and efficiencies at scale.
- Conceptualize and build platforms as business opportunities arise.
- Lead a team of software engineers responsible for building the front-end and back-end systems responsible to support the Pet Health verticals of business.
- Iterate quickly with an agile development process.
- Recruit, hire, and mentor exceptional software engineers, quality engineers, TPMs and SDMs.
- Work with product management, program management, development, operations, and other internal stakeholders to define requirements, guide product and architectural vision, and prioritize efforts.
- Ensure timely and consistent communication to facilitate a clear understanding of ongoing projects, and their prioritization within the organization.
- Provide frequent updates to C-Level suites on the current and upcoming projects.
- Mentor Individual Contributors as well as Managers within the team and position them for success.
- Establish strong working relationships at all organizational levels and across functional teams
- Collaborate on design and implementation of scalable environments for development and testing
- Ability to review architecture, design and implementations, provide feedback to individual contributors and other managers.
- Must be able to identify and manage priorities within the context of overall corporate objectives
- Work with others in Engineering Management to drive best practices in software development, testing, and production deployment
What you'll need:
- A thought leader. You can think ahead and build scalable platforms for the future. You can communicate and command the respect of executives and developers.
- 6+ years of experience with managing people including managers. Strong leadership skills. You can motivate and grow your people. You can inspire people to go above and beyond.
- 15+ years of technology work experience.
- Experience building highly scalable applications that can meet growing business needs
- Knowledge of cloud technologies, such as AWS, Azure, and/or Google Cloud.
- Strong programming language experience in any of the following languages Java, C++, PHP
- Experience presenting and communicating to C-Suite.
- Position may require some travel.
- Bachelors in Computer Science or an engineering discipline.
- Ability to excel within a VERY fast paced startup environment.
- Proven delivery experience working under an Agile/Scrum methodology.
- Strong engineering background building Products that are Ecommerce scale
- Prior roles in Ecommerce or in technology companies
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Chewy, please contact HR at chewy dot com