Associate Director of Software Engineering at Chewy (Greater Boston Area, MA)
Chewy is growing and we are looking to expand our autoship systems and services team with talented software engineers in multiple locations. Chewy is looking for an Associate Director Software Engineering to join our autoship platform team. This is a high-profile position that will have exposure across the entire subscription business, influencing the vision and implementation of architecture, design and features for the autoship platform. As the AD of Software Engineering, you will act as an engineering leader while leading a team of strong engineers building Chewy’s next autoship platform.
About this Team:
Autoship is a service that Chewy offers to customers so that they can receive items that they purchase often, on an automatic shipment schedule. Our team’s mission is to make Autoship the most loved pet care subscription program. As the most convenient and simple-to-use subscription offering, Autoship helps pet parents easily address their pets’ needs so they can spend more time enjoying their relationships with their pets. Furthermore, Autoship customers are Chewy’s most developed and loyal customers, and the trust they place in Autoship to meet their needs drives long-term customer engagement with Chewy.
What You will Do:
- Manage and lead multiple scrum teams with 10+ experienced engineers responsible for building Chewy’s next generation autoship platform
- Partner with our recruiting team to continue to build your team and mentor the growth of the existing team
- Drive technical decisions and be accountable for the delivery of solutions on initiatives they own
- Contribute to road map definition in collaboration with technical and product leadership
- Review code and implementations, provide feedback for technical contributors
- Must be able to identify and manage priorities within the context of overall autoship business objectives based on data driven decision making
- Develop System / Component prototypes (front & back end both) and APIs (Interact with the full application stack) for a rapidly scaling platform for vendor management, while ensuring successful product delivery and operational excellence
- Design, develop and implement large-scale distributed systems prototypes with large volumes of data, focusing on scalability, latency, and resiliency
- Experience in using DevOps principles and techniques to delivery high quality software prototypes with the least technical debt possible
What You’ll Need:
- Completed Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or related field, or equivalent experience
- 5-10 years of experience in Software Development as a software engineer
- 2+ years of experience in Engineering Management
- Technical savvy, including hands-on knowledge/skill of system integration, database, and business intelligence
- Experience in communicating software product features, technical designs & product strategy with users, other technical teams, and senior management
- Working experience with distributed SCM (GitHub a plus), DevOps, AWS
- Project experience using Java, AWS, React, GraphQL or similar frameworks and/or libraries
- Agile experience leading Scrum teams desired.
- Ability to perform business requirements analysis and design with strong prioritization skills to identify minimal viable/lovable products.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, strong analytical skills, and ability to deal with ambiguity in a rapidly evolving business environment
- Capability to identify and mitigate development and implementation risks
- Experience in e-commerce, retail, subscription management focus a plus
- Experience with Scrum, XP or other agile methodologies a plus
- Experience with configuration and deployment management via Terraform or Ansible and be hands on technology infrastructure, network, compute, storage, and virtualization experience
- Experience with data analysis/mining in large scale database environments a plus.
- Familiarity with AWS/Azure/GCP
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Chewy, please contact [email protected]