API Engineer at MassMutual
Since 1851, MassMutual’s commitment has always been to help people protect their families, support their communities, and help one another. This is why we want to inspire people to Live Mutual. We are people helping people.
A career with us means you will work alongside exceptional people and be empowered to reach your professional and personal goals. Our employees are the foundation of what makes MassMutual a strong, stable and ethical business. We seek and value unique and varied perspectives and experiences because we believe we are stronger when all voices are heard. We invite you to bring your bright, innovative ideas to MassMutual as we continue to help millions of Americans rely on each other.
Together, we are stronger.
The MassMutual Data Engineering Group in the Enterprise Technology Experience Organization is seeking an outstanding API engineer to join our team. The successful Engineer will be expected to learn quickly new cutting-edge technologies, technical concepts, and complex problem spaces. The individual must possess a solid understanding of computer science fundamentals, including database and web-based API enabling business applications and usage at scale.
What great looks like for this role
The API Engineer will have an opportunity to design and develop API’s using REST, in Python, Node.js, Java and Scala to provide data integration functionality for the diverse financial and life insurance data. The incumbent will work with the different company business units to map and integrate disparate data from a variety of source systems using API microservices pattern.
Objectives of this role:
- To develop API’s for the various data driven systems we have to help us transform the insurance industry.
- Write tested robust code that can be quickly moved into production.
- Working closely with a team of highly skilled data and API engineers to help connect and integrate web services across the enterprise.
- Be self-supportive in collaborating with your peers to effectively deliver robust solutions for the business
- Work seamlessly in an agile environment with engineers, product managers, business analysts, and designers to understand end-user requirements
- Support-what-you-build, including monitoring, performance tuning, and responding to incidents
- Bachelor’s Degree in Math or Computer Science
- 5+ years of experience with full stack development, including application, API, testing, and automation experience using at least one of the following languages –
Python, Java, Scala
- SQL for database schema design (Vertica, Postgres, etc.)
- Application security best practices
- Software and system architecture
- Open source web application frameworks (Node.js / Play etc.)
- Unit test frameworks (scala test / mocha / junit / jasmine etc.)
- Developing RESTful APIs and API Gateway integration (Kong / Apigee etc.)
- Continuous integration server(s) (Jenkins / TeamCity / GoCD etc.) and continuous deployments
- Cloud experience (AWS / Azure etc.)
- Experience working in an agile environment and collaborating with the team to solve technical challenges using rapid and iterative development
- Superior communication skills with the ability to work directly with business partners
- Authorized to work in the US with or without sponsorship now or in the future
- 7+ years of experience with full stack development, including application, API, testing, and automation experience preferred
- Advanced proficiency in Node.js and/or Scala
- Advanced Database design and administration
- Graduate degree is a plus