Sr Data Engineer at Toast
Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
The Sr Data Engineer will play an important role in building out a new key piece of our enterprise data assets, a new database focused on people data. The person in this role will be a part of our existing Data Engineering team but will own the build out from the ground up of a new database to support Toast’s people analytics function. We are looking for a motivated, energetic candidate with experience creatively and securely solving data complexities of various sizes and levels of cleanliness and will partner with our People Analytics team to make working at Toast utterly delightful.
About the roll*:
- Sits within the Enterprise Applications & Technology (CIO) organization with a dotted line to the People Success organization
- Will work directly with key members of the People Team to build out the people data architecture, and consult on key decisions around data structure, access and organization
- Member of the larger Data Engineering team which owns Toast’s analytics warehouse, this role will be responsible for building a new people analytics warehouse to meet the needs of our growing Organizational Success function
- Will have access to existing Data Engineering infrastructure, processes and paradigms to architect new people data warehouse, with particular focus on security and access given nature of the data
- Will use existing Data Engineering tools and technologies including Snowflake, Looker, Amazon S3/EC2, and others
Do you have the right ingredients*?
- Bachelor's degree in data related field, or ability to demonstrate knowledge comparable to that acquired through a traditional 4yr degree
- 3+ years professional experience in a Data Engineering role or personal project work demonstrating equivalent skills
- Strong SQL skills and knowledge of Data Warehousing concepts
- Familiarity with orchestration tools and version control tools
- Willingness to operate both independently and in a team environment
- Ability and willingness to communicate technical issues to non-technical folks and vice versa
- Experience handling confidential people data such as PII, compensation, diversity or survey responses, and a proven track record of data maturity and good judgement
- Relevant work experience in a high-growth tech or SaaS company
- Experience using Snowflake, Airflow, Agile, Amazon EC2
- History of mature handling of sensitive data such a HR/Employee or PCI data
- Familiarity with backend data from common cloud vendors especially HR related (eg Workday, Greenhouse, CultureAmp)
Our Spread of Total Rewards
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.