Nuance is the pioneer and leader in conversational artificial intelligence (AI) innovations that bring intelligence to everyday work and life. We deliver solutions that understand, analyze, and respond to people, amplifying human intelligence to increase productivity and improve security. With decades of both domain and AI expertise, we work with thousands of organizations across a wide range of industries.
Check out our team Life at Nuance!
Join our team! At Nuance, we are constantly reinventing how people connect with technology and with each other. Our AI-powered solutions empower organizations to transform “business as usual.” For decades, the world’s leading financial, healthcare, telecommunications, retailers, and government organizations have trusted Nuance to bring them award-winning solutions that deliver more meaningful outcomes and empower a smarter, more connected world. From clinical speech recognition technologies that free physicians to spend more time caring for patients to real-time intelligence that powers billions of customer interactions, we’re deeply committed to helping organizations push the boundaries of what’s possible.
The Sr. Manager will manage and lead the R&D Research Compute Engineering team, collaborate with corporate leadership, Research and Engineering leads, Security, and IT. You will take ownership of the machine learning (#ML) and data science environment, the design, and deployment of the high-performance infrastructure, with consideration of future technological needs and trends. You will directly spearhead and shape the environment that is utilized for the development of latest AI technology and Nuance’s Conversational AI, such as Dragon Ambient Experience (DAX), Agent AI and many more.
Principal duties and responsibilities:
- Manage and lead the R&D Research Computing team, fostering a culture of inclusion, accountability and shared purpose – a team responsible for design, delivery and maintenance of the Research computing environment.
- Lead transformation from an on-premise to a cloud/hybrid environment supporting evolving cutting-edge AI model development, data management, model training and inference.
- Collaborate with R&D leaders to champion a long-term vision for R&D Research computing, Machine Learning (ML) and Data Science infrastructure.
- Actively participate in architecture and code reviews for design and implementation; have the capability and drive to directly work hands-on with the team and stakeholders to understand the technologies and processes.
- Drive continual improvements for availability, performance, observability, quality and cost effectiveness.
- Align with key internal partners and vendors to deliver platforms that provides a simplified R&D experience and meets dynamic business requirements.
- Own security and compliance domains for the platform.
- Own the management of the budget for the R&D Research Computing team, participating in corporate fiscal processes.
Minimum 5+ years cloud infrastructure, software delivery and management experience.
- Experience managing high-performing teams in an Agile environment, across engineering and operations disciplines.
- Passionate about fostering a collaborative and inclusive team culture, facilitating team career growth.
- Demonstrated examples of solving infrastructure problems with software and materially improving system operability- through monitoring, service level management, lifecycle management, performance tuning, and documentation.
- Prior experience in cloud transformation initiatives (direct experience with Azure and GCP preferred). Experience creating technology roadmaps for infrastructure teams undertaking automation and cloud transformation.
- Strong background in DevOps concepts and tools; well-disciplined in continuous integration and delivery
- Excellent people and negotiation skills, able to listen to a diversity of technical opinions and build consensus.
- Good decision maker, able to manage risk with mitigation plans, and escalate issues where/when appropriate.
- Effective communicator across a variety of audiences, from senior researchers and engineers to executives.
- Experience securing products, tools, and processes.
- Experience in managing technology vendor relationships; strong financial acumen and direct experience in management of operational expenses.
- Hands-on experience architecting, designing, and delivering software systems. Comfortable troubleshooting/scripting as needed on a Linux system.
- Experience or strong understanding of high-performance computing, machine learning and data infrastructure environments, for both cloud and on-premise.
- Familiarity with Azure services, Slurm, Kubernetes, Kubeflow, Docker, Singularity, Nvidia GPUs, deep learning frameworks like TensorFlow, and other widely used frameworks.
Education: Bachelor/Master’s degree in Technology discipline (Computer Science/Engineering), MBA a plus
Nuance offers a compelling and rewarding work environment. We offer market competitive salaries, bonus, equity, benefits, meaningful growth and development opportunities and a casual yet technically challenging work environment. Join our dynamic, entrepreneurial team and become part of our continuing success.
Nuance celebrates diversity and is proud to be an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action workplace. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, military and veteran status, disability, genetics, or any other category protected by law or Nuance policy. If you need an accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call 781-565-5086 and let us know.