Senior Data Scientist - Diner Ads at Grubhub
Grubhub is all about connecting hungry diners with our network of over 300,000 restaurants nationwide. Innovative technology, user-friendly platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities set us apart and make us an industry leader in the world of online food ordering. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us
Grubhub is a place where authentically fun culture meets innovation and teamwork. We believe in empowering people and opening doors for new opportunities. If you’re looking for a place that values strong relationships, embraces diverse ideas–all while having fun together–Grubhub is the place for you!
More About the Role
We’re looking for a Senior Data Scientist to join the team responsible for building out an Ads platform from the ground up. You will be working with a team of the finest data scientists and engineers to build machine learning models that serve the most relevant ads to our diners. Alongside, you will also be partnering closely with product managers and business stakeholders to ensure that we maximize the business potential for this platform
The Impact You Will Make
- Research, prototype, and build machine learning models to surface the most relevant ads to diners thereby directly impacting revenue.
- Deploy proven ML solutions to production, applying state-of-the-art methods and tools on large-scale data coming from multiple streams with a focus on building out the best Ads experience in the industry for both diners and restaurants.
- Establish metrics to monitor the stability and effectiveness of the machine learning models to the business’s key performance indicators.
- Collaborate with other engineers, data scientists, product managers, and business teams to make sure data products are aligned with business objectives and organizational needs.
- Help prioritize and triage requests and ensure that data science/machine learning solutions are delivered in time to maximize business impact.
- Contribute to the full development lifecycle of projects, and elevate team performance by participating in code reviews, promoting best practices, and identifying process improvements.
What You Bring to the Table
- PhD/MS in computer science, engineering, statistics, machine learning, mathematics, or 5+ years of relevant work experience
- Strong SQL (Spark SQL, Presto, etc.) skills
- 3+ years of experience with Python and scientific computing libraries such as numpy, pandas, and dask
- 1+ years of experience with deep learning
- 1+ years of experience reinforcement learning
- Exposure to cloud computing (AWS, Azure, or GCP)
- Experience with Git or similar tool for version control
- Experience with data modeling and managing data transformation jobs with high volume and timing requirements
- Familiarity with PySpark or another JVM-based big data processing tool
- Strong ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams, including communicating effectively with people of varying levels of technical knowledge, and delivering data-driven insights and outcomes clearly and succinctly
- Prior experience shipping production-grade, high-impact ML models that touches multiple systems owned by multiple teams
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced, sometimes ambiguous working environment
- Prior experience in the ads platform space is a plus
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. Grubhub employees enjoy a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Health and Wellness. Excellent medical benefits, employee network groups and paid parental leave are just a few of our programs to support your overall well-being.
- Competitive Pay. You’ll receive a competitive base salary with eligibility for generous incentives, bonuses, commission or RSUs (role-specific).
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. We empower you to be a leader and grow your career through training, coaching and mentorship opportunities.
- MealPerks. Get meals on us! Our employees get a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives like Wellness Wednesdays, Slack competitions and virtual happy hours!
- Social Impact. At Grubhub we believe in giving back through programs like the Grubhub Community Relief Fund and donating $1 million to the Equal Justice Initiative in 2020. Employees are also given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
- COVID-19 Response. All of our employees are currently working from home and will be for the foreseeable future. We look forward to seeing everyone in-office when it’s safe to return.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage a workplace that is just as diverse as the customers we serve. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. If you’re applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an email to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.