Senior Data Engineer at Perch
Perch is creating the next generation Consumer Products company by becoming the first technology-based scale operator of top eCommerce microbrands. Microbrands selling through marketplaces like Amazon are already transforming global retail - Amazon’s 3rd party marketplace alone was $300B in 2020. Perch is disrupting and accelerating this space by acquiring great brands and making them even better. We look for successful, profitable businesses that sell top-ranked products with differentiated customer feedback. The Perch platform integrates those businesses into a scale operating company and accelerates the products to the next level of sales and profitability. We are a key resource for entrepreneurs who want liquidity and a key partner for Amazon and other retail channels by offering exceptional products, great customer service, and great value.
Central to our success is the ability to rapidly grow and optimize our brands after they join our platform. Creating and executing the Perch Playbook is one of the most challenging and important parts of our success as a company. The ideal candidate will be forged in plastic (learnability) and have a track record of writing clean, well tested and maintainable code, delivering results and bringing new ideas to the table on the fly.
This person will have the unique opportunity as a member of the Data Platform team to contribute directly to the company’s ability to continue to scale at a rapid pace. This team is working together to build a beautiful and scalable Data Warehouse from scratch. With an architectural mindset and deep experience, this person will be responsible for key components of our data platform.
This role could touch every part of our business – acquisitions, supply chain, brand management, technology and finance - and you’ll be an integral member of shaping a rapidly growing technology company.Requirements
- Experience with SQL databases
- Diverse data engineering toolbox, having experience using modern tools, languages, and approaches (we tend to use Python).
- Exposure to deploying solutions in AWS (or another cloud service provider)
- A solid understanding of data architecture and distributed systems
- Write reusable, testable, and efficient code, utilizing strong unit test and debugging skills.
- Contribute to technical specifications in true partnership with Product Managers, IT, and Engineering (Have an opinion to share that we hope leads to scalable systems and exceptional business outcomes).
- Ability to turn complex problems into simple solutions; translating technical details in simple terms to technical and non-technical employees alike.
- Well rounded, but “spikey”. Your overall experience is T-shaped, with a breadth that spans programming languages and technologies and depth that drills into the languages and/or subject areas you’re passionate about.
- The ideal candidate has 4+ years of hands-on development experience in software/data engineering or similar roles.
We are looking for entrepreneurial and collaborative team members to help build out scalable systems. You will be someone who can lead by example, who enjoys working with data, and is energized by the challenge of helping us to create the best technology platform we can to grow our business. You should be excited at the prospect of being a part of a rapidly growing company with an aptitude for getting things done, and an ability to understand the trade-offs required to balance speed vs. perfection. No eCommerce or Amazon experience is required – we believe that with the right set of underlying capabilities, you can learn the industry context quickly.
Perch is one of the fastest-growing eCommerce companies in Boston. Perch acquires and develops great eCommerce brands. We are backed by amazing investors (SoftBank, Spark Capital, Tectonic Ventures, and Boston Seed). Our team has deep expertise in eCommerce, technology, and M&A. We are disrupting one of the largest and most exciting spaces of eCommerce and are building an industry-shaping platform. Our aim is to have a workplace and company that positively impacts the lives of others, including our employees, their families, the entrepreneurs and vendors we work with, and our end customers.
Perch is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.