Nuance is the pioneer and leader in conversational artificial intelligence (AI) innovations that bring intelligence to everyday work and life. We deliver solutions that understand, analyze, and respond to people, amplifying human intelligence to increase productivity and improve security. With decades of both domain and AI expertise, we work with thousands of organizations across a wide range of industries.
Join our team! At Nuance, we are constantly reinventing how people connect with technology and with each other. Our AI-powered solutions empower organizations to transform “business as usual.” For decades, the world’s leading financial, healthcare, telecommunications, retailers, and government organizations have trusted Nuance to bring them award-winning solutions that deliver more meaningful outcomes and empower a smarter, more connected world. From clinical speech recognition technologies that free physicians to spend more time caring for patients to real-time intelligence that powers billions of customer interactions, we’re deeply committed to helping organizations push the boundaries of what’s possible.
Nuance is hiring a Principal Research Scientist in the Healthcare Research organization working on state-of-the-art deep learning systems for our Dragon Ambient eXperience (DAX) product. You will have the opportunity to transform the healthcare industry, by changing the way doctors interact with technology and their patients. Major duty is to help develop deep learning technology to improve physicians’ efficiency in clinical documentation, build tools to help other team members do similar research, and take the technical leadership of small projects.
Principal duties and responsibilities:
- Research on creating state of the art, scalable, and self-learning systems for DAX and similar products.
- Design, train and tune a variety of deep neural network machine learning models.
- Create models from varying levels of data quality and quantity, ability to creatively apply domain knowledge will be important.
- Help define and drive improvements related to architectural designs, data preparation and model evaluation.
- Perform data and error analysis in order to improve models and understand their shortcomings.
- Lead technical projects involving a small team.
- Communicate and work effectively with remote members and teams.
Knowledge, skills and qualifications
- Education:Ph.D. (or M.S. with research and development experience) in Computer Science, Computational Linguistics, Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- Minimum years of experience: 8+ Years
- Minimum of 8 years experience (including graduate school).
- Proven experience with Machine Learning algorithms, including Deep Neural Networks, supervised and semi-supervised methods with strong knowledge of the mathematical underpinnings behind these models.
- Experience with running experiments on large datasets.
- Experience with Natural Language Processing methods.
- Experience with open-source machine learning toolkits such as Tensorflow, Pytorch, etc.
- Proficiency in Python.
- Bash/Unix scripting skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent planning and organizing skills, ability to multi-task and stay organized in a dynamic work environment.
- Experience leading small projects.
- Experience in medical text analytics and/or clinical information retrieval is a definite PLUS.
- Experience with text summarization and/or text generation is a PLUS.
Nuance offers a compelling and rewarding work environment. We offer market competitive salaries, bonus, equity, benefits, meaningful growth and development opportunities and a casual yet technically challenging work environment. Join our dynamic, entrepreneurial team and become part of our continuing success.
Nuance celebrates diversity and is proud to be an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action workplace. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, military and veteran status, disability, genetics, or any other category protected by law or Nuance policy. If you need an accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call 781-565-5086 and let us know.