Business Development Representative
OpenScholar is looking for a high-performing and dynamic Business Development Representative (Outreach Partner) to own the lead generation and qualification process, and drive demand for our enterprise-grade academic content management solution. You will work closely with our Sales and Marketing Directors with the goal of generating meetings and developing initial relationships with potential partners. As an Outreach Partner you will serve as a critical part of the OpenScholar team, enhancing our understanding of the education landscape, growing awareness of OpenScholar throughout top-tier research institutions, and serving as the first point of contact for prospective clients. We will provide the tools, training and mentorship/leadership that will help you learn the ropes of Enterprise/ SaaS sales and advance your sales career at OpenScholar.
This role reports to the Director of Sales and is based in Boston, MA.
- Own the top of the funnel resulting in thorough discovery conversations and sales-ready meetings/ demos
- Understand OpenScholar’s value proposition and be able to clearly communicate it to prospective customers
- Track activities in Salesforce CRM and keep records fully up-to-date to enable accurate forecasting
- Strategize with Sales and Marketing on creative outreach campaigns and new ways to engage prospective customers
- Research accounts and relevant contacts within respective territory, populate in Salesforce database and reach out via cold calls and emails
- Build connections with decision-makers (CIOs, Deans, Provosts, Marketing/ IT Directors) learning about their needs and educating them on the value of OpenScholar
- Participate in team/ company meetings sharing insights and market intelligence collected from the field
- Consistently achieve KPIs and monthly quota to help meet company growth objectives
- Highly motivated, driven and self-sufficient individual; desire to compete and win!
- A strong work ethic – reliable and can stay on track without direct supervision
- Excellent communication skills - written, verbal, presentation
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment while achieving production goals and meeting/ exceeding KPIs
- Enthusiasm, creativity and “can do” attitude; brings new ideas to the company
- Ability to persevere and maintain high activity/ outreach output including call/email volume and pipeline growth
- Comfortable on the phone and enjoys having conversations with new people
- BA/BS degree from an accredited university
- Proven experience as a Business Development Representative (or similar sales role) with a track record of achieving quota/ KPIs
- CRM software experience (Salesforce.com)
- Experience working with educational technology or higher education institutions (or both!).
- Familiarity with Google products (Gmail, Google Docs, Google Sheets)
- A desire to grow and advance a career in sales
OpenScholar provides websites for labs, research centers, departments and faculty: OpenScholar offers the most comprehensive academic content management solution designed to enhance the strategic initiatives of universities, their departments and faculty. Developed at Harvard University where we currently support 10,000 websites with 17,000 users, OpenScholar is entrusted by 75 universities and researchers globally to help bring their ideas to the world. OpenScholar was co-founded by Gary King (a Weatherhead University Professor at Harvard University) and Jessica Drislane.
We are located in a WeWork close to North Station in Boston (with some great perks like free coffee, beer (21+), snacks and lounge areas!).
OpenScholar is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, military status, or national origin or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or applicable local law.