Principal Software Engineer- Android
"Every day I come into the office, I'm confident there will be a plethora of hard technical problems to solve, and a brilliant team working together to solve them. Toast is scaling its functionality and its customer base faster than any company I've worked for. That ecosystem is keeping me sharp, focused, and relentlessly engaged. Bring it on." - Chris B, Engineering - Payments
Toast is a rapidly growing startup building the first all-in-one restaurant management software platform. Toast’s Android tablet based system helps restaurants operate more efficiently and connect with their customer base in new and innovative ways. For example, our portable tablets allow waitstaff to enter orders directly to the kitchen, reducing guest wait time and allowing the restaurant to turn over tables faster. This is good for the guest experience and good for the restaurant! We’re growing fast and serve cafes, restaurants, bars and nightclubs in all 50 states. We move fast and thus have lots of opportunities for career growth. If you’re passionate about your work and want to be in a fun and growing industry, join us!
Toast is looking for a Principal Software Engineer to play a critical role in evolving the architecture of our Android software platform. Our Android software is used by restaurant staff every minute that a restaurant is open, from seating guests, to taking orders, to displaying orders in the kitchen. It is responsible for submitting payments for processing, helping sync data across tablets, and functioning as a customer facing kiosk. We need your to help to build new functionality that customers use every day and help transform our app into a platform that many teams can contribute to without slowing our pace of innovation.
Some projects we’ve been working on recently, include:
- Building a kiosk that allows restaurant customers to place their own orders
- Improving queueing and resilience for synchronizing data with our cloud backend
- Enhancing login for better security and usability
As a Principal Software Engineer, you will:
- Write and review code every day
- Architect an Android application that can run at one location coffee shops and hundred tablet stadiums
- Collaborate with the CTO, senior engineers and product management to define technical and product roadmaps
- Mentor engineers
If you’re someone that:
- is interested in mobile and the restaurant industry
- wants to work on systems that are critical to customer success
- enjoys devising technical solutions to solve complex business problems
- communicates clearly up, down and across teams
- can quickly hop into a new codebase and find your way around
- can balance getting things done with making things perfect
- takes pride in mentoring other developers
- likes to get involved in deciding what gets built to solve for the customer and the company
Perks of being a Toaster
- Great opportunity to join a fast-growing company which affords its’ employees mobility and advancement.
- Work on technology that’s making an impact in the industry (and challenging problems to solve as a result!)
- A team of passionate and collaborative co-workers (bring all your friends! referral bonuses).
- A culture of continuous innovation (quarterly company-wide hackathons to help bring this to life).
- An open concept office, complete with beanbag-filled collaboration spaces and the equally necessary quiet spaces.
- Clubs & groups created by our employees, for our employees.
- Diverse events to engage with coworkers in a different setting (Field Day, yoga classes, harbor cruises, beer swaps, Texas Hold ‘Em tournament etc.)
- Location, location, location! In Landmark Center, right off the Green Line and a 5 minute walk from the Yawkey commuter rail stop (commuter benefits included).
The Usual Suspects
- Competitive salaries
- Stock options
- Medical, dental & vision benefits
- PTO (unlimited!)
- Flexible work hours
- Fully stocked kitchen (DIY seltzer, beer on tap, coffee/ lattes, cold brew iced coffee)