VP & General Manager, SPM Business Unit at BitSight Technologies
BitSight’s mission is to enable trust in digital transactions. Together, we are transforming how the market governs cybersecurity risk through Security Ratings. BitSight Security Ratings are real-time, data-driven measurements of cyber security performance that help companies, investors, insurers, government agencies and regulators make informed, dynamic risk decisions impacting business results, financial investments and national security.
As the leader in the cybersecurity ratings market, we are looking for a Vice President & General Manager to run our Security Performance Management (“SPM”) Business Unit.
The VP & GM is responsible for achieving the Business Unit goals. This requires a combination of (a) indirect management of a cross-functional team (including R&D, go-to-market and G&A leaders) to achieve the business unit goals and (b) direct management of a team of product managers to deliver a combination of new and existing products necessary to achieve the business goals.
The VP & GM reports directly to the Chief Product Officer and General Manager of BitSight. The VP & GM will serve as a member of BitSight’s Operating Committee, the senior staff of the company.
Skills and characteristics of a strong candidate are as follows:
- Cross-functional Leadership - The role of VP & GM requires strong cross-functional leadership. This role requires leadership without direct reporting authority, which is an advanced leadership skill. The ability to establish the vision necessary to achieve company goals, effectively communicate the vision and strategy to others and then lead a cross-functional team to achieve the vision is a requirement of the position.
- Team Management - Experience managing people, both directly and indirectly (via a matrix structure), is required.
- Product Expertise - The VP & GM has direct reporting responsibility for product management. Requires (a) experience working with existing customers to understand customer jobs and develop product enhancements to deliver customer value and (b) the ability to identify customer jobs for which new products can be developed and delivered (either organically or inorganically via acquisition). Experience with cyber security products (including BitSight's) is a very strong plus.
- Engineering Collaboration - Close collaboration with engineering, data science, and security research teams is a central part of the job. This includes organization and maintenance of the roadmap plan and active prioritization of the Plan of Record. The VP & GM must be able to "translate" from engineering and product requirements into a language that executive leaders of the business can understand and help facilitate the business decision making process (including strategic direction and budgetary funding).
- Go-to-market Collaboration - Requires very strong collaboration with the go-to-market teams in the full business lifecycle: (a) communicating with customers to understand how to improve existing, or create new, functionality to serve customer jobs; (b) creating pricing and packaging based on jobs and value maximization; (c) communicating business vision and product roadmaps for customers and internal audiences; (d) enabling go-to-market teams with the necessary customer jobs framework in order to be able to effectively qualify opportunities and close transactions based on value; (e) identifying leading indicators to help allocate resources to improve net retention via both improved renewal rates and increased expansion (upsell and cross-sell); and (f) firefighting with customer-facing teams in order to solve customer problems.
- Business Analytics - Strong background in business analytics is required in order to be able to use data in order to improve business decision making. This includes (among other things): (a) ongoing analysis of total addressable market and serviceable obtainable market; (b) segmentation analysis to help improve investments in go-to-market resources and product direction; (c) correlation analysis to identify early indicators of key business metrics such as renewal rate and expansion; and (d) analysis of impact of pricing and packaging on metrics such as ASP and sales velocity.
- Business Vision & Strategy - The VP & GM is responsible for synthesizing multiple inputs (market size, industry and technology trends, competition, product functionality, go-to-market strengths and available resources (both human and financial)) into a strategy for the business unit. The VP/GM must be able to translate the strategy into a set of actionable goals and a vision for how to achieve those goals. Finally, the VP/GM must have strong skills for communicating the strategy and vision to both internal and external audiences.
- P&L Management - Prior experience as a P&L manager of a business unit or as President/CEO of a business is helpful but not absolutely required. BitSight business units are currently responsible for the revenue goals. Over time, we expect the remit to expand to include responsibility for cost of service/gross margin as well as operating expenses and net income.
- Presentation Skills - Extremely strong presentation skills are required. Must be able to span the full range from detailed product specification to Board-level strategy.
- Culture - The ideal VP & GM will be a "keeper of the culture" at BitSight. S/he will be ego-less and engage with people with vulnerability and trust. S/he will be willing to take on productive "mining for conflict" in order to improve the ability of the team to commit to decisions. And s/he will set a good example that others will want to follow.
The Behaviors That You Bring:
- Integrity – You have a customer-centric attitude and commitment to doing what is right for BitSight, our business partners, and internal team members
- Natural Curiosity – You are a team player and a continuous learner. You share your knowledge with the team, embrace new learning opportunities, and search for ways to improve our operations
- Empowerment – You demonstrate organizational skills, the ability to manage priorities, deadlines, and troubleshoot issues independently; you take ownership of business problems
- Excellence – Your detail-oriented approach leads to quality processing results and your communication skills allow you to communicate effectively with internal team members
- Results Driven – You learn quickly, collaborate with others, and share your ideas for improving our service
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, business administration or equivalent related work experience. MBA or other advanced degree is a significant plus.
- 10+ years of experience in combination of general management, product management, and/or business operations disciplines. Preference for SaaS experience and Cyber Security industry experience is a plus.