Senior Systems Engineer at Grubhub
About The Opportunity
Grubhub is dedicated to connecting hungry diners with our wide network of restaurants across the country. Our innovative technology, easy-to-use platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities make us an industry leader today, and in the future of online food ordering.
We strive to create a workplace that reflects the diversity of our customers and the communities we serve. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, take risks, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us
We have a fast-paced environment and that is what our teams thrive on. Grubhub believes in empowering people and offering opportunities for development, as well as professional growth. We value strong, positive relationships in all areas: with each other, our customers and our greater community. Want to be a part of a team of diverse collaborators in an authentically fun culture? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
Grubhub is looking for an innately curious, business-minded, results-oriented Systems Engineer to work on our Systems Engineering team. As part of this collaborative team, you will have the opportunity to partner with operations, finance, product, engineering, and data science. In this role, you will use systems thinking and systems engineering techniques to help further understanding of our current capabilities, as well as shaping where we go next. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to, requirements development, system design, experiment design, risk and opportunity assessment, and mentoring of team members.
The Impact You Will Make
- Balance between multiple stakeholders and perspectives - find ways to improve the experience for Diners, Restaurants, Drivers, and our internal customers
- Partner with Product and Engineering teams to help shape our solution and strategy
- Build buy in for work - lead through influence!
- Develop requirements and system designs for complex systems involving many services, teams, and stakeholders
- Analyze end to end design of our systems, tools and processes. Identify gaps in existing requirements and design. Work with Product, Engineering, and additional stakeholders to build solutions
- Partner with Systems Analysis to define experiments and required analysis
- Help shape Systems Engineering to meet the needs of the business
What You Bring to the Table
- 8+ years experience with systems thinking techniques and complex problems
- Bachelor's Degree with Computer Science or related field
- Experience applying systems engineering tools and processes in an Agile software environment
- Comfort tailoring existing tools to meet the problem at hand
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with stakeholders from all backgrounds
- Ability to weigh competing priorities, manage tradeoffs and evaluate opportunistic new ideas with stakeholders, driving to consensus while maintaining a clear focus on overarching system architecture.
- Experience architecting and designing testable, fault tolerant, and performant software
- Familiarity and comfort with data, including the ability to use data to analyze and monitor product health
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. Grubhub employees are provided a generous amount of time to recharge their batteries.
- Health and Wellness. We provide programs that support your overall well-being such as generous medical benefits, employee network groups, company-wide fitness challenges, and a comfortable and casual workplace! We also support our parents by offering 8 weeks of paid parent bonding time, a 4-week returnship program, and 6-8 weeks paid medical leave.
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. From day one, we empower you to lead and be an active participant in your career growth. We provide continuous learning opportunities, training, and coaching and mentorship programs.
- MealPerks. Who’s ready for some lunch? We provide our employees with a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants. We also offer company-wide meals several times a year to bring our Grubhub family together.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives. Some of our popular past events include: Wing-eating contests, Grubtoberfest, 5k Runs, Bring Your Child to Work Day, regular happy hours, and more!
- Social Impact. We believe in the importance of serving the communities that support our business. In addition, employees are given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.