At Hopper, we’re on a mission to make booking travel faster, easier, and more transparent. We are leveraging the power that comes from combining massive amounts of data and machine learning to build the world’s fastest-growing travel app -- one that enables our customers to save money and travel more. With over $235M CAD in funding from leading investors in both Canada and the US, Hopper is primed to continue its path toward becoming the go-to way to book travel as the world continues its shift to mobile.
Recognized as the fastest-growing travel app by Forbes and one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company two years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 40 million times and has helped travelers plan over 100 million trips and counting. The app has received high praise in the form of mobile accolades such as the Webby Award for Best Travel App of 2019, the Google Play Award for Standout Startup of 2016 and Apple’s App Store Best of 2015.
Take off with us!
A stellar opportunity to have massive impact: join a rapidly growing team at a company continually redefining how people travel. As a Senior System Engineer, you will be at the forefront managing and maintaining the infrastructure that fuels our growing business. You will be asked to leverage your knowledge to operate and maintain our on-premise infrastructure ensuring the stability and reliability Hopper's customers have grown to love.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND
The perfect candidate will possess the ability to discuss complex technical concepts with a diverse audience across all areas of the organization. They will remain calm under pressure and always strive to add structure to high-pressure, fast paced tasks or projects.
- Demonstrated experience running and supporting mission-critical infrastructure (Quanta Hardware)
- Prior deep experience as a Linux System Administrator, ideally CentOS
- A good understanding of virtualization technologies (KVM), storage, and networking concepts
- Strong analytical skills to evaluate complex multivariate problems and find a systematic approach to gain a quick resolution
- Familiarity with software development and/or DevOps practices
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with a demonstrated ability to work independently
- Previous experience working with and managing co-location, telecommunication, and hardware vendors
- Deep experience with data center networking and/or cloud networking
- Experience with Apache projects (such as HBase, Kafka, Spark)
- Experience maintaining and operating hybrid-cloud environments
- Experience with using Mesos for cluster management
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
- Develop an intimate understanding of Hopper's business processes and infrastructure technologies
- Provide daily support, systems maintenance, and problem resolution for our on-premise infrastructure
- Own outage response, disaster recovery, and develop/document processes required for day-to-day operations
- Perform patching, firmware updates, and (where applicable) replacements for Hopper's server infrastructure
- Coordinate with vendors and partners to accomplish proactive and reactive (adverse) maintenance
- Provide advanced troubleshooting and problem resolution of production systems and services
- Participate in on-call rotation
- Travel to the West Island, as needed
• Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
• Dynamic and entrepreneurial team where pushing limits is everyday business
• 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
• Access to a 401k (US) or Retirement Savings Plan (Canada)
• Easy commute with a paid-for public transportation or parking pass
• IATA Travel Agent Card for discounts in the travel industry
• Fully stocked kitchen with: coffee/tea, beer, bagels and snacks (both healthy and not-healthy)
• Team lunches, offsite activities and much more!