Manager of IT at Drift
Drift is the new way businesses buy from businesses. With its quickly evolving set of tools and playbooks, Drift is the world’s leading conversational marketing platform, trusted by top enterprise businesses like Ellie Mae, GrubHub, InVision, Marketo, MongoDB, Okta, Outreach, Eventbrite, Vidyard, and over 150,000 other businesses. Sales and marketing teams rely on Drift to connect now with the customers who are ready to buy now. Based in Boston, Drift was founded by serial marketing technology entrepreneurs David Cancel and Elias Torres and is backed by leading venture capitalists including CRV, General Catalyst, and Sequoia.
About the role / About the team
As Manager of IT you will lead an internal team of two IT engineers to provide the infrastructure, systems and processes to support the Company’s internal IT needs. This will include:
- Managing our internal networks across offices in Boston and San Francisco and WeWork locations in Seattle and Tampa.
- Leading our onboarding and offboarding IT process ensuring efficient ordering, accountability and implementation of an employee’s IT needs.
- Managing the day to day employee IT requests efficiently to ensure a good balance of servicing employees properly while balancing costs and efficiencies of the IT organization.
- Manage the collaboration tools and systems between our offices to promote effective collaboration between offices and our expanding WFH policy.
- Effectively manage the day to day with regards to our “major” communication centers including Zoom Rooms, Zoom Digital Signage, and our “Backyard” company-wide meeting areas.
- Work effectively with managers throughout the Company to increase efficiencies of their organization through the use of IT tools and systems.
- Work effectively with the CSO and internal security team to ensure security of internal systems and participate in various security reviews (e.g. SOC 2, etc.) to ensure security continues as a top priority of the Company.
- Effectively manage outside services and providers in managing non-Boston areas and in managing areas where we do not have internal expertise.
- Manage the inventory and ordering process of IT-related products such as SaaS subscriptions, software licenses, computers, and other hardware.
- Assist in 2020 office expansions in Boston, Tampa and London, UK.
What you’ll be doing on the team:
In one month you will:
- Have taken over managing directly the two engineers in the dept and worked with them to do an assessment of priorities, responsibilities and workload amongst the team
- Completed an assessment of the network challenges and needs in the Company.
- Met with our CSO to determine the dividing line between IT and Security
- Reviewed our internal ticketing and service system to ensure it is being effectively managed
- Completed a “risk” assessment to determine risks of anything breaking in the next year.
- Initiated an internal survey to determine user’s needs and assessment of current levels of support of IT and areas where we can get better
- Established relationships and agreements with our current and possible new service providers to assist the internal team.
- Have completed employee development plans for the IT engineers balancing their areas for development and our internal needs.
In three months you will:
- Have implemented additional collaboration tools and Zoom rooms to provide better collaboration across the Company
- Assisted in developing our expansion plans in Boston, Tampa and London
- Have implemented processes and systems that allow us to check that “things work” instead of having to figure it out through a submitted ticket.
- Have reviewed our FY 2020 goals and worked with executive management to adjust and prioritize.
- Have reviewed our ticketing system and process to determine how we can both improve service and efficiencies.
- Have sent or planned to send yourself and the IT staff to one external event to develop skill sets and experience.
- Have taken ownership of the group and the area -- be the leader people look to for help, direction and perspective.
In six months you will:
- Be on “your” own in managing the group and dept.-- looking to executive mgmt for leadership and support but really feel like you are in charge of your own destiny.
- Have completed an assessment of our systems and needs and be comfortable with our monitoring process
- Be on the way to building an organization that is going to make a difference in improving an employee’s experience and efficiency.
- Look at our second half goals and have real ownership and direction in setting them.
About you and what type of skills you’ll need:
- A generally positive attitude and the ability to make a difference. An ability to prioritize, problem solve, and keep things in perspective based on business needs and risk. A strong desire to want to build something, to lead, to get things done and to have fun at it.
- Good knowledge of standard IT systems (e.g. Okta, G Suite, Slack, Zoom, etc.) and tools in a small, rapidly expanding tech company.
- A knowledge of network systems (e.g. Meraki, Palo Alto Networks, etc. or equivalent) which would complement the strong knowledge of user support / systems we have in the current staff.
- A working knowledge of macOS and Windows, as well as device management and security tools (e.g. Jamf Pro, Carbon Black, Proofpoint, etc. or equivalent).
- Exposure to or working knowledge of Audio/Video technology and systems.
- A “customer centric” approach to providing services to your customers, our internal employees, balancing employee requests and needs with reason, and proactively communicating with key stakeholders.
- An ability to supervise, manage and plan a small team while having the skills and desire to roll up your sleeves and help.
Drift is committed to being an equal opportunity employer.
We know that applying for a new job can be intimidating. But guess what? At Drift, there is no such thing as a “ideal candidate.” We believe in the power of teamwork -- and in the desire to learn something new every day. We believe in hiring people, not just skills. Take it from our CEO.
If this sounds like a company you would like to join and a role you would thrive in, please don’t hold back from applying! Whatever skills you bring to the table or background you’re coming from, we welcome you to start a conversation with us. We need your unique perspective for our continued innovation and success. We’re looking forward to learning more about you!
Drift is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at [email protected]