Head of Internal Sustainability at Indigo
What if nature could be harnessed to help farmers sustainably feed the planet? Since 2014, Indigo has questioned agriculture's full value chain to improve grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health. The company’s scientific discoveries and digital innovations have amplified new value from soil to sale, benefiting more than 10,000 growers to date. Indigo is also the company behind The Terraton Initiative, a global effort to drawdown one trillion tons of atmospheric carbon dioxide by unlocking the potential of agricultural soils. In 2019, Indigo was ranked #1 on CNBC’s Disruptor 50 list. Headquartered in Boston, MA, Indigo has additional offices in Memphis, TN; Research Triangle Park, NC; Sydney, Australia; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Basel, Switzerland; and São Paulo, Brazil.
The role of the Head of Internal Sustainability will be responsible for driving the strategy and execution of Indigo’s internal/corporate sustainability efforts. The most urgent initial focus will be around understanding Indigo’s carbon footprint and creating a plan to move Indigo to being carbon positive. Beyond that project, this person will also be responsible for creating a broader sustainability strategy and building the culture within Indigo to focus collectively on sustainability for decisions both at the corporate level and so that every employee at Indigo understands our values and mission around sustainability and how that affects our business and cultural decisions.
Given the clear and essential connection to Indigo’s company culture, this person will report directly into the Chief People Officer but will work cross-functionally with many Indigo leaders, including the CEO, on ensuring Indigo’s commitment to sustainability is embedded across the entire organization.
- Lead the formulation of the company’s long-term sustainability vision, mission and operating
- principles, and lead the development of a high-level strategy to support them
- Secure and leverage senior level commitment and support for integrating sustainable
- development into core processes and decision-making
- Serve as the company’s leader and “go to” expert for sustainability and serve as the central point of contact for any and all interfaces with external stakeholders about Sustainability
- Foster a culture of sustainability through ongoing organizational communications and education so that Indigo is recognized as one of the leading companies across the globe for its own internal efforts towards becoming carbon positive
- Drive forward the Indigo carbon footprint project, resulting in a clear and compelling story of Indigo’s current carbon footprint and path forward
- Successfully drive the operations and reporting within our internal sustainability initiatives
- Create a compelling and innovative method for Indigo to report on environmental performance that is well-designed and transparently communicates our goals, ambitions and progress
- Incredibly and genuinely passionate about Indigo’s mission
- Well-versed in current corporate sustainability standards and trends
- Strong ability to collaborate cross-functionally
- Good strategic thinker; understands the context and can architect a vision
- Strong bias for action, ability to manage process
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced and ambiguous environment
- Compelling communicator, good storyteller both orally and through slide presentations
- 10+ years of work experience, ideally with 5+ years of environmental sustainability experience in a fast-growing corporate environment
- Experience building a corporate sustainability program
- Success working cross-functionally with executive or CEO-level stakeholders
- Consistently exhibits company values in all interactions with our stakeholders
- Has built a broad network in the sustainability space
- Experience with employee engagement and/or customer experience, a plus
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.