Humana is a Fortune 100 healthcare company with a long history of successful innovation and reinvention. For more than 50 years Humana has been a proven leader and innovator in the health and wellness industry. A passionate emphasis on people, choice, well-being, and innovation guide our business practices and culture. We’re not just a health insurance company, our diverse lines of business position us to serve millions of people with a wide range of needs, including seniors, military members, and self-employed individuals.
Role Overview: Director, Strategy
The Healthcare Strategy team supports Humana’s Retail business segment, which is comprised of the company’s Medicare and Medicaid businesses. With over 9 million medical members, Retail is Humana’s largest business segment, comprising over 80% of the company’s total revenue and the majority of its earnings. Team members partner with the senior leaders of the Retail business segment, and more broadly with leaders throughout the enterprise, as they deliver strategy projects addressing some of the businesses most important opportunities and challenges. These high profile strategy projects place the small team at the forefront of helping to define the future of Humana’s largest businesses.
Humana is seeking a team member with significant strategy consulting experience to manage and deliver strategy projects and analysis prioritized by Retail leadership. You’ll lead team members during projects as you deconstruct issues and challenges, perform targeted research and analysis, and craft sound, logical solutions and recommendations. While doing so, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with fellow team members, subject matter experts, members of Humana’s executive Management Team, and corporate, functional, and business unit leaders.
One of the top strategic priorities within Humana’s Retail segment is achieving ambitious growth through an innovative, differentiated, and data-driven Medicare distribution strategy. To that end, as a Director of Strategy, a portion of your responsibilities will be to lead efforts in collaboration with senior Sales and Distribution Leadership to evolve Humana’s Medicare sales and distribution organization.
Sample project work:
- Development of the annual Retail strategic plan, shared with the company’s executive Management Team Board of Directors
- Developing a 3-5 year growth strategy for Humana’s largest and most important market, presented to the company’s executive Management Team and Board of Directors
- Collaborating with Medicare Sales and Distribution leadership to develop/evolve Humana’s Retail segment distribution strategy, including identifying strategic recommendations for the C-Suite and the Board of Directors
What You Will Do:
- Managing high-profile, high-impact strategy projects from developing an approach to delivering recommendations and final deliverables
- Partner with Senior Retail Leadership to develop strategies for the Retail business unit
- Develop high quality analysis and deliverables that clearly frame growth objectives, issues/challenges, and articulate compelling, insightful findings, conclusions, and recommendations
- Develop hypothesis to be validated or refined through targeted research and analysis
- Conduct interviews, working sessions, and report-outs with leaders across the company
- Oversee industry, market, competitor, and financial analysis
- Work collaboratively with fellow team members and leaders across the company
- Effectively lead and develop junior members of the team
- Undergraduate degree, with outstanding academic credentials
- Must have 2-4+ years of full-time, post-graduate degree work experience with a top tier strategy consulting firm. Such as, McKinsey, Bain, BCG, Deloitte (S&O), Strategy & (PwC), Oliver Wyman, Putnam Associates, EY-Parthenon, Accenture, AT Kearney, LEK, GE Healthcare Partners
- Demonstrated ability to manage strategy engagements from conception to final deliverables
- Highly collaborative, flexible, team oriented working style
- Strong problem solving skills and the ability to perform complex qualitative and quantitative analysis
- Excellent verbal and written communication abilities
- Ability to quickly build and maintain trust with senior business leaders
- Demonstrated ability to mentor and develop junior staff
- Must reside or be willing to relocate to New York, NY Metro area. Relocation will be covered.
- MBA, MPH, PhD, or graduate degree in a management field, with outstanding academic credentials
- Prior healthcare industry experience, preferably in the managed care or provider sector
Who You’ll Be Working With:
- The role reports to the head of the Healthcare Strategy team and will work closely with the entire strategy team, including leading junior team members