As the Head of Communications and the voice of Markforged, you will be focused on building our brand visibility and relevance with earned and owned media coverage. You will develop and hone our narrative for the press, industry and those cohorts which influence our target audiences while connecting our story to the larger cultural trends which shape global industry. You will develop our communications processes, people, and resources to rival those of any elite multinational organization. With your deep communications experience, you will counsel executive management on advancing, preserving, and defending the Markforged brand. You will have influence and access to senior leadership and will drive all Markforged messaging.What will you own?
- Own PR, social and internal communications channels and report to the Head of Marketing.
- Manage the relationship with our global and regional PR agencies.
- Provide ongoing strategic recommendations to and coordination with executive management and functional leaders to sustain Markforged’s narrative.
- Develop and execute annual and quarterly external communications plans, collaborating across company functions to maximize impact.
- Write and/or edit all news releases and public statements while maintaining high editorial standards.
- Conduct media outreach as needed to expand awareness, develop coverage opportunities and shape reporting.
- Act as an embedded reporter in the business, identifying and developing storylines that advance Markforged’s business objectives.
- Identify and address potential PR issues (e.g., trust & safety policy issues, shipping issues) before they become external liabilities.
- Serve as a thought partner to executive management on communications issues and opportunities.
- Ensure timely and effective communication of internal news to U.S. employees.
- Act as the champion of Markforged's communications effectiveness, seeking opportunities to improve, learn and increase the function's business contributions over time.
Although we list out what we generally look for, we are very likely missing other attributes and skills that you have that could make you a great fit, but are not currently listed. Research has shown this especially applies to women and other marginalized groups, who tend to apply if they check 100% of every box, versus men who apply if they hit roughly 60%. The point we’re getting at, it doesn’t hurt to take a chance and apply!
- Minimum 7 years experience in corporate communications.
- Experience in B2B and industrial technology preferred.
- Proven ability to provide candid, persuasive counsel to senior executives.
- Superb communications skills; comfortable with using a variety of media formats persuasively.
- Broad understanding of brand marketing principles, strategy and techniques.
- High-level understanding of legal and regulatory frameworks.
- Experience working in a publicly traded, multinational organization.
- Experience managing crisis communications in a complex organization.
- We use Apple computers and G-suite collaboration tools. While experience with these tools is not required, the ideal candidate will be excited to broaden their knowledge and embrace change.