Simply Business is more than our name. It's how we approach small business insurance: Make it clear. Make it simple. Make it affordable. Founded in 2005 (with our first international office in Boston launched in 2016), Simply Business is an online business insurance brokerage that specializes in one thing: protecting the businesses that entrepreneurs have worked hard to build.
Through blending a combination of technology, data, and insurance knowledge - with 10 years of expertise in the UK in how to build great products for our customers - we are looking to simplify the insurance-buying process for all small businesses across the US.
Right now we’re at the start of that journey. We need people who are looking for a challenge and have the drive and ambition to challenge the boundaries in whatever exciting project they believe in. We believe that people work more productively and imaginatively when they are free from rigid hierarchy and structures and we’re creating a colorful and collaborative environment to help support you in meeting your ambitions.
If you’re smart, passionate about delivering brilliant customer experiences across an integrated online and offline user journey, and enjoy solving complex challenges then you should apply to join our team.
At Simply Business, our major competitive advantage is our people. As we continue to scale the business, we are looking for Legal Counsel focused on regulatory compliance to join our growing US team. In this role you will be responsible for handling a wide range of insurance regulatory and compliance matters in a quickly evolving and highly regulated industry.
This role will report to the US General Counsel and be a thought leader and business partner on all things regulatory and compliance. In addition to providing subject matter expertise and collaborating with stakeholders across the business, you will have a practical approach, business mindset and strong interpersonal skills.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Advise on a broad array of insurance regulatory issues and compliance matters, including licensing requirements, product development, and state filing requirements in both the admitted and non-admitted markets
- Ensure compliance with applicable state and federal laws, regulations, directives and rulings.
- Assist with the development, implementation and/or enhancement of compliance programs and initiatives, including corporate policies, controls and monitoring, and defining and creating supporting documentation to demonstrate compliance
- Operationalize and manage compliance training programs and risk assessments, aligning compliance operations to SB’s overall business strategy
- Conduct risk assessments to identify areas of risk and potential areas of compliance vulnerability
- Monitor, interpret, and disseminate relevant information on applicable insurance laws and regulations including proactively reviewing ongoing development of new laws and regulations.
- Perform compliance oversight, reporting and suggested remedial actions for breaches and/or errors that have compliance or regulatory impact
- Provide legal advice and guidance to colleagues on key compliance risk areas, such as anti-corruption and anti-bribery, conflicts of interest, economic sanctions laws, and other relevant areas
- Conduct, guide and participate in legal and ethical risk assessments and develop and implement risk mitigation plans
- J.D. from accredited law school
- Admitted to practice law and in good standing with at least one state bar
- 5-7 years of relevant experience in regulatory compliance (property and casualty preferred)
- Relevant legal compliance experience with a major law firm, corporate law department or government entity/regulator
- Ability to provide guidance and advice on key compliance risk areas, such as anti-corruption and anti-bribery, OFAC, sanctions laws, other relevant risk areas
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a high level of professional and personal integrity.
- Ability to be creative and practical with a focus on innovation in a highly regulated industry
- Proven ability to develop strong relationships with and earn the respect and trust of key stakeholders.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to explain legal issues clearly, concisely and persuasively.
What are the benefits?
Working in our Boston Office, you will have the chance to shape a business from the very beginning, and an opportunity to develop and learn new skills across various technology and business areas as you desire.
Plus there’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call "core benefits".
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
• A salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day
• Group plan for medical, dental, and prescription drug coverage
• Short term disability, long term disability and life insurance coverage
• Participation in the Company’s bonus program
• Participation in 401(k) plan with a 3% employer match
• Commuter benefits to help cut down on commuting costs
• 25 days of vacation time plus 10 company holidays
• Flexible working hours and working from home
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose)and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. We trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching and lots, lots more
It’s a big claim but we genuinely believe the Simply Business culture is truly unique. You sort of have to come and spend time with us to appreciate it. So get that application in and we’ll take it from there!
Everything we do comes down to these five values – empowerment, authenticity, simplicity, learning and pioneering.
In practice, these will mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re considering working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
We believe in our people and the positive impact they can have so we enable everyone to stretch themselves
We celebrate diversity, avoid jargon and genuinely care about helping small businesses thrive
We attempt to simplify complex solutions to save our customers time and effort
We’re never done learning about new possibilities and act to explore them
We’re obsessed with finding new ways to create even better experiences
We want to meet you
As a company, we pride ourselves on inclusion in the workplace. We succeed as an organization because we are comprised of intelligent women and individuals from other underrepresented groups. We understand you don’t find that in a lot of companies, so we’re emphasizing it here should you feel any hesitation to apply for that reason.
The hiring process at Simply Business is focused on candidates who are enthusiastic about the role and company. So even if you don’t fit every qualification listed in one of our job postings, yet you feel you’d be a great fit, we’d love to meet you. With any luck we’ll be seeing you at an interview soon.